Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27

    Recommend a really good tubular tyre?!

    Doing a lot of checking and most of the "best" tyres now seem to be tubeless or clinchers.

    Are there any "really good" tubular tyres being made now?

  2. #2
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,744
    Continental Competition Pro Ltd are really good but almost impossible to get. Ebay is usually your best hope believe it or not.

    The normal version are also really good.

    Veloflex are good.
    use a torque wrench

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Continental Competition Pro Ltd are really good but almost impossible to get. Ebay is usually your best hope believe it or not.

    Veloflex are good.
    Thanks, found the contis on wiggle.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,877
    Really good for what? FMB Record Silk, for example, are really good if you got coin and only do time trials but would kind of suck for a lot of riding.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Really good for what? FMB Record Silk, for example, are really good if you got coin and only do time trials but would kind of suck for a lot of riding.
    Just general racing.
    Something that would be tough enough on average Aussie bitumen roads.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhite7 View Post
    Just general racing.
    Something that would be tough enough on average Aussie bitumen roads.
    Vittoria Corsa.

    Do you know how to change a tubular? They're a poor choice for many people. No offence but based on some of the questions you've been asking I'd have to guess dealing with tubulars isn't for you.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Vittoria Corsa.

    No offence but based on some of the questions you've been asking I'd have to guess dealing with tubulars isn't for you.
    They say that only an insane person will guess the mindset of another.

    I guess you didnt have to suffer the learning curve of anything, since you must be some sort of God that, not unlike characters in the Matrix movie, automatically downloaded information about everything, and instantly became an "expert"?!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhite7 View Post
    They say that only an insane person will guess the mindset of another.

    I guess you didnt have to suffer the learning curve of anything, since you must be some sort of God that, not unlike characters in the Matrix movie, automatically downloaded information about everything, and instantly became an "expert"?!
    Easy there killer.

    I'm not guessing your mind set I'm guessing tubulars are not for you, or anyone without a wheel car following for that matter.

    hey nice job implying I'm insane for guessing your experience then guessing mine. That's nice touch of irony.

  9. #9
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    989
    Off to a great start there, GW7! Perhaps you should stop by the 'politics only' subforum....

    Now, back to your original question: I've found that Challenge makes some really great tubulars. They ride nice, grip well, and are fairly lightweight, and don't cost an insane amount. They don't wear great, though; for that, I use Tufo S3 pros, which wear really well, grip well, and ride fairly good. Vittoria Corsa is also a good tire (similar to the Challenge tires), but they always seem to cost more than they are worth.

    BTW, the Corsa and pretty much all Challenge and Veloflex tires have latex tubes, which will lose air while sitting, requiring you to nearly fully inflate them each time you prepare for a ride. If that's a problem, stick with better butyl tires, like Continentals.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  10. #10
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhite7 View Post
    They say that only an insane person will guess the mindset of another.

    I guess you didnt have to suffer the learning curve of anything, since you must be some sort of God that, not unlike characters in the Matrix movie, automatically downloaded information about everything, and instantly became an "expert"?!
    Wow, 19 posts in and you're sounding as abrasive as me. Keep going like this and no one will reply to your posts in a few days.

    Given the question you asked is about as broad and unfocussed as it was Jay's reply was a good one. If you're racing you are looking for a combination of somewhat light, somewhat durable, good grip, and lower rolling resistance. Vittoria is really good, Challenge is really good, Veloflex is really good. Conti Sprinters are good, the Competition Pro is great but as MM posted they're hard to find. Vittoria Mastik 1 is the way to go for glue. I probably wouldn't recommend Dugoast or FMB for road racing unless you have a team car, they don't have any puncture resistance like all the other tires. As we all know you have to finish the race to win the race.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  11. #11
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wow, 19 posts in and you're sounding as abrasive as me. Keep going like this and no one will reply to your posts in a few days.

    .....
    FWIW, this place seems to attract 'abrasive' people, present company included...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    663
    Time for a good Fast Tack discussion?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I've found that Challenge makes some really great tubulars. They ride nice, grip well, and are fairly lightweight, and don't cost an insane amount. They don't wear great, though; for that, I use Tufo S3 pros, which wear really well, grip well, and ride fairly good. Vittoria Corsa is also a good tire (similar to the Challenge tires), but they always seem to cost more than they are worth.
    Thanks will google them.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Challenge is really good, Veloflex is really good. Conti Sprinters are good, the Competition Pro is great but as MM posted they're hard to find.

    Vittoria Mastik 1 is the way to go for glue.
    Yeah the options really dont seem to be there with tubs anymore. You can find 10-15 good clincher tyres, but its hard to source out 5 good tubs.

    What about the tape?
    Seems like it might be a better option than glue.
    Less mess, sticks just as well from my quick initial research.

  15. #15
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Time for a good Fast Tack discussion?
    Oh, please god, no!!! By now, I hope that anybody who used to be so impatient for the glue to set has already learned that after a few months, FasTack dries out and leaves you essentially unglued. Besides, I believe FasTack was reformulated a few years back, and probably ain't worth sh!t as a tubular glue anymore.

    Challenge cement works for me. Mastik 1 is also very good. If you go for Continental, it seems that only conti glue works well on those tires; must be something about the base tape. I've noticed that conti base never adheres well after a repair, either.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spdntrxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,715

    Recommend a really good tubular tyre?!

    Another vote for veloflex.. I use arenburgs.

    Michelin Pro4 service course are we’re pretty good too.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

  17. #17
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhite7 View Post
    Yeah the options really dont seem to be there with tubs anymore. You can find 10-15 good clincher tyres, but its hard to source out 5 good tubs.

    What about the tape?
    Seems like it might be a better option than glue.
    Less mess, sticks just as well from my quick initial research.
    Never ever use tape. Glue is the ONLY way to properly mount a tubular tire. I have seen numerous tires that were taped come off very easily. If you don't want to spend the time to properly mount the tires stick w/ clinchers. I've been a pro team mechanic for a lot of years and I've never seen a single instance of tubulars being mounted w/ tape at this level. Not a single one. Glue them and do it the right way. It's not worth messing with.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've been a pro team mechanic for a lot of years and I've never seen a single instance of tubulars being mounted w/ tape at this level. Not a single one. Glue them and do it the right way. It's not worth messing with.
    Thanks will do.
    Obviously you have seen enough to know what you are talking about.

  19. #19
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    Another vote for veloflex.. I use arenburgs.

    Michelin Pro4 service course are we’re pretty good too.
    I haven't tried the new Michelin tubulars but they made some for a few minutes in the early '00's that were really nice. They stopped doing them midway through my only pair. It was a good tire for the money.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  20. #20
    Off the back
    Reputation: fast ferd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,832
    My favorites are the Veloflex Criteriums (tan sidewalls) or Carbons (black sidewalls) - basically identical 260 gram tires with latex tubes. Mounts consistently true and renders a sweet ride. Often decent prices at probikekit, but certainly not a low-cost tire.

  21. #21
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    .....Often decent prices at probikekit, .....
    Yeah, if you don't mind a 9-week wait for their slow ship from Timbuktu to make the delivery.....Never, EVER again will I patronize that bunch of yobs.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  22. #22
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,831
    Are you planning to buy a set of tubular wheels???? Do you plan to race on them?? If you plan to use them for general riding, and you glue them on so that they are "race ready", you will discover that you hate them when you flat. If you glue them on so that you will be able to change them as fast as changing clinchers, you might hate them after you roll a tire in a turn, and go sliding along the road.......
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  23. #23
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,896
    I've always found the hatred of tubular wheels a bit misplaced. I actually find it just as easy to replace a punctured tubular on the road as it is to replace a clincher tube. I've spent half my cycling days on tubulars and half on clinchers and, yes, tons of exceptions notwithstanding, I've enjoyed the tubulars more.

    I can't give any tubular recommendations because I now ride my clinchered bicycle 90% of the time, but that's because in my old age I prefer my much less severe clinchered bicycle, and switching out the wheels between the bicycles isn't as straightforward as it could be.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    942
    Back in the day, I used Tubasti white for training wheels and Wolber gold for race wheels. The Tubasti stayed a little tacky and made changing flats fairly easy. I didn't do any crit cornering on training wheels or fast descending because there is just isn't any in Texas but I was never concerned with rolling a tire and having a used tire(usually a patched sew-up) as a spare meant that it already had a layer of old glue on it. Is Tubasti still available or are there better choices(not tape). I have been wanting to build up a pair of sew-up wheels again for fondos or special rides. I would go for DA hubs and HED Belgium rims and 25-27mm Veloflex tires.

  25. #25
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,831
    Tubasti is known from being one of the weakest glues. The two best are Vittoria and Continental. I believe that both of them also make glues for use on carbon rims.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please help - best tubular tyre for training
    By SteelSix in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
  2. I have a really good bike, now I need a set of really good panniers.
    By My Own Private Idaho in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM
  4. tubular tyre blow out/roll off
    By henry in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
  5. most durable tubular tyre
    By kenyonCycleist in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •