RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Recommendation on tires? Stay tubeless or change to clincher?

I have a Domane Trek SLR disc and currently I run Bontrager R3 TLR 26 tubeless tires. Currently, the majority of my rides are on pavement... but not the smooth type of pavement but more rough pavement (no clue what the proper name is) and Ive been thinking about going to 30s or 32s? I weigh 275+ and my rims are HED Belgium + if that helps out in recommending a tire.

Is staying tubeless, for a road bike, worth it? The only tubeless tire that size that I am aware of are the Schwalbe Pros in 30.

If I change to clinchers, maybe using Conti 4 seasons 32s?

On the 26s... I do feel the road a lot more because its just country roads and the longer I ride... the more uncomfortable it gets. If I stay on the smooth roads... its too much traffic for my taste and Im thinking of just staying on the less traveled road longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I have been using road tubeless for the past few years. I recently bought a new set of Shimano C40s and went back to clinchers. One ride later and I've got the C40s for sale and am going back to tubeless.

You can get Maxxis Re-fuse in a wider tubeless ready version I think. Hutchinson do the Sector in a 32C.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I thought this thread looked familiar.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/recommended-tubeless-tire-heavy-rider-700x32c-360188.html

As I said in that thread, it's hard for anyone else to know what is best for you. Tubeless can be a hassle, and it can save some flats and improve the ride quality to some degree.

I ride tubes on my road bikes and tubeless on my gravel bikes. I debate with myself frequently about whether I want to go tubeless on road, or back to tubes on gravel. I usually favor tubes when I'm cleaning up latex mess in tires during servicing or whatever, and usually think about tubeless when I'm reading the forums and talking with other riders about their frequent flat occurrences (I rarely get them).

I suggested in the other thread to start with tubes and see how things go. If you are prone to pinch flats or small punctures, then there could be some justification for road tubeless.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Run good clinchers. 320TPI Open Corsa CXIII for example. Great ride quality, and no messy goo whenever you flat. Win, win, win. You'll get sick of winning, to quote a contemporaneous wordsmith.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    I have a Domane Trek SLR disc and currently I run Bontrager R3 TLR 26 tubeless tires. Currently, the majority of my rides are on pavement... but not the smooth type of pavement but more rough pavement (no clue what the proper name is) and Ive been thinking about going to 30s or 32s? I weigh 275+ and my rims are HED Belgium + if that helps out in recommending a tire.

Is staying tubeless, for a road bike, worth it? The only tubeless tire that size that I am aware of are the Schwalbe Pros in 30.

If I change to clinchers, maybe using Conti 4 seasons 32s?

On the 26s... I do feel the road a lot more because its just country roads and the longer I ride... the more uncomfortable it gets. If I stay on the smooth roads... its too much traffic for my taste and Im thinking of just staying on the less traveled road longer.
    Whatever you do, first make sure your frame will actually take the wider tires. You will need to consider the tradeoffs between highly compliant tires (better ride) and the typically higher wear rate that comes with them. The lower pressure you can run the longer your tires will last.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I'm a clyde and I run tubeless on a CX, multiple mtb's and now first time road. I am running Schwable one 28's. I like 32's best. If you get a leak start with changing out the valve core and adding sealant. That has solved a lot of issues for me.

Wider tires, less pressure will help reduce the harsh road bumps. Your also carying some weight. Wider is better but to a degree. Play with your tire pressure to find your sweet spot. And then keep it within a few PSI of your spot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Run good clinchers. 320TPI Open Corsa CXIII for example. Great ride quality, and no messy goo whenever you flat. Win, win, win. You'll get sick of winning, to quote a contemporaneous wordsmith.
    Those are as good as it gets but this dude is 275. Bigger than 25, or 28 for the new Corsas, would definitely be of benefit a 275 pounder looking for comfort.

Take a look at the Compass tires and Challenge Strada Bianca. If your frame will accept them that is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I rode 28c Conti 4 Seasons for 20k miles and weighed more than the OP (at that time). I think I had one flat tire in that time, and that was from road debris that I couldn't avoid.

I ran them at about 95r/90f with no pinch flats, albeit on smooth clean tarmac.

Hutchinson Sector 28's might a good choice, too. You can run them tubeless or with tubes. Just make sure they are good fit for your rim. I had a hard time getting them mounted on my HED Belgium Plus. I feel like the Conti's had better ride quality and grip. The Sectors felt a little more harsh. They are probably longer wearing, and perhaps slightly more puncture resistant (they seem to have a thicker tread and casing -although I never measured them).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Just wanted to say thank you for a lot of your comments. I switched out the tires to Conti 4 Seasons Black edition 32s. (No clue what the Black edition is but that is what the shop ordered.) So far, in regards to chip seal, Im loving the feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Excellent choice. *

The black edition is no different except that the sidewalls are black instead of that dark muddy brown color 4 seasons normally have.

They can be hard to find and some people are very picky about these things.

I'm not one of them 😝

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    ^^^^^This is all the OP needs to take away from this post.^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I am looking at buying some of the same tires. Where did you buy them? None of my local retailers sell them. If I have to let them order them, I might as well buy them online.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you for a lot of your comments. I switched out the tires to Conti 4 Seasons Black edition 32s. (No clue what the Black edition is but that is what the shop ordered.) So far, in regards to chip seal, Im loving the feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I've found them online at various places in the US and UK. Try bikewagon, chain reaction, etc...

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like they may have updated the look of the generic 4 season for this year. Looking at the picture and description on their website, it looks like they are calling these 'Black/Black' now, although the picture still shows a faint hint of that dark brown.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...-prix-4-season