hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Recurrent spoke breakage Nexus 3 speed hub

My wife has a Biria City bike that she absolutely loves. She rides it regularly for her 2 mile commute to work. It has the stock 3 speed internal Nexus hub on stock generic rim with straight gage traditional bend spokes. We have now encountered I think the 5th broken spoke on the wheel.

The first one occurred within a year of getting the bike new and it is now about 2.5 years old. I haven't kept close track, but I did leave a piece of tape on the last one, which was NDS. Current one is in the drive side and I'm pretty confident it's been a different location each time, mix of NDS and DS, but always at the hub flange.

After the second or third one, I de-tensioned the wheel and re trued it (didn't use a tension meter then, although I have one now). Got pretty even tension on it. the bike is big and heavy, but my wife is not and she stopped carrying heavy stuff in the rear rack basket. I'm pretty fed up with that wheel now but not sure what to do. It's a big pain in the ass to replace the spoke; more so than a regular road bike.

I wonder if it's the bike though. There are a couple of short hills on her commute and my wife just stands on the pedals and muscles up, which is not what this big heavy bike likes to do. I wonder if that is too much torque for this hub.

Any ideas, recommendations?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    My wife has a Biria City bike that she absolutely loves. She rides it regularly for her 2 mile commute to work. It has the stock 3 speed internal Nexus hub on stock generic rim with straight gage traditional bend spokes. We have now encountered I think the 5th broken spoke on the wheel.

The first one occurred within a year of getting the bike new and it is now about 2.5 years old. I haven't kept close track, but I did leave a piece of tape on the last one, which was NDS. Current one is in the drive side and I'm pretty confident it's been a different location each time, mix of NDS and DS, but always at the hub flange.

After the second or third one, I de-tensioned the wheel and re trued it (didn't use a tension meter then, although I have one now). Got pretty even tension on it. the bike is big and heavy, but my wife is not and she stopped carrying heavy stuff in the rear rack basket. I'm pretty fed up with that wheel now but not sure what to do. It's a big pain in the ass to replace the spoke; more so than a regular road bike.

I wonder if it's the bike though. There are a couple of short hills on her commute and my wife just stands on the pedals and muscles up, which is not what this big heavy bike likes to do. I wonder if that is too much torque for this hub.

Any ideas, recommendations?
    The only thing that will really end the problem is to have it rebuilt w/ quality butted spokes (not straight gauge) and have the work done by a reputable wheel builder. This should eliminate any spoke breakage.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Thanks cx. My thoughts have been running along those lines.

What do you think of the issue with the hill? Occasionally the gear will slip when climbing and when I researched it, it seems like that's just an issue with a hub designed for mostly flattish roads. I'd hate to rebuild it only to find that that hub can't be used for out of the saddle climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    My wife has a bike with that hub too and when I fixed a flat tyre I noticed that the spoke holes had sharp edges and were not rounded in any way.
    Could be the problem, so machine the holes before you rebuild...