RoadBikeReview Member

Reuse Rims in new build

Normally I would not re-use rims at all but these have about 100 miles total on them. They were my race wheels until I got run into a curb in a crit and the brake track got scraped up. I rebuilt the hubs into a new set of rims but these have been hanging around.

They seem a bit too nice to just chuck but I wonder if they are worth rebuilding. I smoothed things down some with a gummy stone but Im sure you will still feel the rough bits braking. Was thinking of building them up into a set of cross wheels (where the brake tracks would get worn down faster ;) )

Thoughts from folks.

Reuse Rims in new build-photo-4-.jpgReuse Rims in new build-photo-5-.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would try to get a bit more aggressive. First take a fine file and smooth out the deep ones, then I would try hitting the entire area with with a abrasive ScotchBrite pad, once it looks decent then do the entire rim (both sides) with the same pad to get any brake residue off or brake wear marks off; then once the scratches are more muted then polish the entire rim with a non abrasive ScotchBrite pad. And rub the wheel along the length not up and down across the width.

You can get both abrasive and non abrasive ScotchBrite pads at almost any grocery store, fine sand paper works too but it tears too easily.

I assume the rims aren't anodized since you have been rubbing on it anyways.
    Last edited by froze; 03-27-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have sanded the brake track withe a gummy and emerycloth. The rims are anodized but I have only been working on the brake track since that is all that is damaged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks completely functional to me. If you've stoned/sanded the track so there are no burrs from the scratches, I don't think you'll feel anything braking. Even if you do, it'll likely go away after some use, especially on cross wheels with the grit grinding the track. Looks like HED Ardennes rim, which are around $125 I think? Might as well build them up and use them, IMO.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are indeed Ardennes, I was really disappointed to have them damaged (myself as well).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would definately relace them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the advice all. Sounds like I will spend a bit more time withe the gummy stone then buy some BHS hubs and make me a set of cross wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. Sounds like I will spend a bit more time withe the gummy stone then buy some BHS hubs and make me a set of cross wheels.
    FWIW: I usually use a small hard fine grain stone which I feel is better at removing burrs down flush with the track surface.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Online Wheel Builder
    I agree with froze on this one. Add a fine gummy stone (ski tool available at hundreds of locations online) to give it a nice smooth finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I would try to get a bit more aggressive. First take a fine file and smooth out the deep ones, then I would try hitting the entire area with with a abrasive ScotchBrite pad, once it looks decent then do the entire rim (both sides) with the same pad to get any brake residue off or brake wear marks off; then once the scratches are more muted then polish the entire rim with a non abrasive ScotchBrite pad. And rub the wheel along the length not up and down across the width.
    This is it. Braking will do the final finish job.