Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Revolution Wheels - Rev 22 vs. Rev 27

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Roger H 
#1 ·
Has anyone recently purchased either wheelset? I'd be curious as to how you ultimately decided between the two, and how pleased you are with them. I'm 180lbs and will be using these as my everyday trraining wheels, as well as for centuries, fast group rides, etc. Both are $560. The Rev-27 has a more aero profile, but are heavier at 1420g. Rev 22are better for climbing, and come in at 1320g. As a relatively new rider, I'm not sure what I should value more - the aero prolfile or weight savings? I ride mostly in rolling terrain with steep, but short hills. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I have a set of the REV-30 wheels laced up with a Powertap Pro+ hub.
Got them last year and I have to say they are awesome wheels. They built and shipped the wheels quickly and were perfect when I received them. Since getting them I've beat them up as my every day wheels and they're still perfectly true and smooth as ever. At 170ish I'm similar in weight.
The aero Sapim spokes are a nice touch too. I find the braking surface well machined and smooth so stopping on these wheels is excellent.

Talk to them and they'll build the wheels up with your weight and riding background in mind. On top of great wheels their service is top notch as well. I had questions about my powertap hub and the cassette conversion and was called back within a few hours and was directed toward purchasing the correct part. Without their suggestion I would have got the wrong one and wasted time and money.

I've ridden the 22's and ride mine all the time... Didn't really notice the difference. Either wheel is great. I'd suggest the 27's since the weight difference isn't very much.

#9 ·
bbelanger said:
Guys - purchased the Rev-22s a couple of weeks ago. wow! They are great. Do you ever notice the bike respond under power, especially going uphill, vs. the Aksiums. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend these wheels.
you can get a little more if you go to sub 200 gram tire for the rear and a continental supersonic for the front along with 50 gram tubes. just saying...

#10 · (Edited)
I debated for a long time and finally purchased a set of Reynolds MV32C on sale after logging over 1000 miles on my Rev-22L. I have to admit, I'm disappointed with the Reynolds. Granted I paid ($1275) only half of the retail price, I was expecting much more in terms of quality as compared to the price buster Revolutions. Now, it's really coming to light to me that in cycling, you are only paying for the name and the bling factor. I honestly cannot see how they are priced at $2500 a wheelset. It's not like it was even made in the USA, it's made in Taiwan!

As for the hub quality, with a very light spin of the wheel, the Reynolds spins around about 10-12 revolutions, the Rev-22L's spins for minutes on end! To top it off, the Rev-22Ls are 20 grams lighter. Well obviously, my wife will never hear me speak about this or she'll never allow me to purchase cycling equipment ever again. She'll only hear me say, "the difference is night and day" and it was definitely worth the $money$ but I'll be actually be talking about the Revolutions NOT the Reynolds;-)

Another thing, I have to pay an additional $200 to get the Reynolds Assurance Plan (RAP), so I can get a wheel replacement in case I damage them within 2 years. I don't really know what to think of that yet.

Whichever you choose you can't go wrong with the Revolutions. In fact, you can get both of them and it will still be cheaper than what I paid for my Reynolds.

ZoSoSwiM said:
I agree. These wheels are as good as wheels twice their price.

I raced the Rev-30's at Battenkill and got a pinch flat.. Zero damage to the wheel from a massive impact. They're super strong that's for sure!

#11 ·
I received my wheels, but there was a bit of a mix up with the correct freehub body. I got a shimano instead of a campy. Revolution is sending me a new rear wheel at no extra cost. He is even paying for the shipping back of the shimano hub.

I've only rode the wheel a couple of times, but I do notice the front wheel already. I can't wait to ride both wheels together. It comes in this week. I've PR'ed some climbs already, with just the front. It could be all the training I've done lately though.

Anyway, I post a full review once I get more miles and vertical feet on whole wheel set. Again, I cant wait.

#12 ·
So how are the wheels? I just bought a set of Rev-22s tonight. I look forward to riding them, and I have read some pretty good reviews so far. I looked at the Williams System 19, the Rolf Prima Elans, the ROL D'Huez, and building my own through bikehubstore. I think the Rev-22s are the best deal going. I didn't want a rim deeper than 27mm, I wanted it to be less in weight than my current Bontrager Race X Lite wheel-set, and I wanted to pay less than $700. I liked that the Rev-22s came with 24F/28R Sapim CX-Ray spokes, were listed as 1320grams, and with shipping were less than $600. I thought it would be cheaper to go through bikehubstore, but adding up the costs it wasn't once I included the cost of having someone build the wheel-set for me (since I currently can only true a wheel and am not proficient at wheel-building yet).

#15 ·
Just completed a 75 mile, 8000 foot ride in western, MA's Berkshires with the new Revolution 27's. The performance was incredible: smooth, great power transfer, comfortable, and stable - at least compared to my previous Easton Ascent II's. I never contribute to these reviews but could not resist because the experience was so favorable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.