Know It All

Reynolds Alta Race campy conversion

I've been looking in to a new set of wheels, and the Reynolds Alta Race/Solitude on ebay are an nice deals. The only problem, is that I'd need a campy compatible one, and those are few and far between on ebay, so I'm considering buying a shimano compatible one and converting it to campy. I emailed Reynolds, and they said it could be done at a LBS and it might cost "$50 to $150", depending on what hub the wheel had. One end of that spectrum is ok with me, the other is not. I also don't mind doing it myself if it's not too hard.

I assume that the freehub body (is that the correct term?) needs replacing and possibly the wheel needs redishing. Anyhow, I'd like a better estimate of cost before I buy. Say I buy this one (there's a big picture of the hub, so maybe it can be identified), can anyone tell me what part(s) I'd need and point me to a source with a price? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I was thinking of doing the same thing a few weeks ago. I tried calling Reynolds to ask if they have Campy freehubs. I left a message and never heard back. You might consider buying the Shimano wheel and just using a conversion cassette. I believe American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing make them, or search RBR for "conversion cassette."
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

Know It All
    Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead
    You might consider buying the Shimano wheel and just using a conversion cassette. I believe American Classic and Wheels Manufacturing make them, or search RBR for "conversion cassette."
    I just got a new campy cassette, so it seems a pity to buy another cassette so soon. Anyhow, here's the entire reply I got from reynolds (they're good about responding to email).

Hey Leon,

********Yes it is possible and you can order the pars through your favorite
    local bike shop. *Depending on what model year and hub type it will probably
    retail for around
    $50 to $150. *You may have to re-dish the wheel after the swap. *Please let
    me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    *Chris Eldevick
    *Domestic OE Manager
    *Central & South America Distribution
    *866-798-3040 *ext. 124
    *chrise@reynoldscycling.com
    *www.reynoldscycling.com
    *3392 W. 8600 S.
    *West Jordan, *UT 84088

-----Original Message-----
    From: Leon Nathaniel Maurer [mailto:Leon.N.Maurer@Dartmouth.EDU]
    Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 1:56 PM
    To: info@reynoldscycling.com
    Subject: Shimano -> campy conversion

Howdy,
    ********I was wondering if it was possible to convert an Alta Race rear
    wheel from
    Shimano to Campagnolo. If it is, what parts would I need, where could I get
    them, and how much might it cost? Thanks.
    -Leon