Descender
    Oct 2005

Reynolds Alta Race wheels

Anyone have any experience with these wheels:

1) Durability
    2) Stiffness
    3) Issues - problems

!510 grams for $260 at Ecycling store + they have discount specials from time to time dropping the price even more.

Please advise - Thanks
    Last edited by pdh777; 12-02-2008 at 10:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I have a set of 2004 Alta Aero Comps which became the Alta Race in 2005. They have probably 3k miles on them and have been bulletproof. You do have to pull the tire to true them, but that has been a non issue as I have only done that once and it was just barely out of true. The price is pretty good but they don't seem to sell very high on Ebay.

Jeff
    51cm 2004 Litespeed Firenze, full Campy Centaur
    52cm 198? Keith Lippy, full Campy Centaur
    14" 2001 Litespeed Unicoi MTB SRAM
    2009 Performance/Lynskey Cyclocross SM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    ive had a pair of alta races for about 2 years now. they make good budget race/training wheels. I raced crits on them last spring them and this season i moved them to my cyclocross bike and were exceptional.

1. durability: rim is good. never had to true them.
    2. stiffness: OK- a bit harsh ride, slightly sloppy when i sprint, but acceptable.
    3. issues: hmm, the rear hub mechanism crapped out after about 14 months/3500miles of use. a rebuild kit was available from reynolds for $60 and my wheel was back in business in a week.

generally speaking, they are pretty good for the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently bought a set on a whim from ecycling. They have DT spokes instead of the Sapims. No biggie. Might be the same specs as the Solitudes. I've put about 400miles on them. Trued the rear at 100 miles for a very slight wobble. The braking had a surging feeling that went away after around 200 miles. So far I like them.
    `The Corkscrew was a great overtaking spot! smirked the World Championship leader. `Sometimes its possible to make a mistake there, but the gravel had good grip!

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the feedback!

I wonder about the less than sterling responses - by that I mean no one is raving about how great these wheels are.

For $220.00 probably still a good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I've had a set for a year now. Good wheels, good value, but you're right. I'm not raving about them for the same reasons as above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think Reynolds makes great wheels - I race on dv46's and train on the alta races. I actually had a 24 hole powertap built into an alta race rim. I put over 15,000 miles on it last year and it's been great - a few trues and a broken spoke (due to a major pothole on a descent). Great training wheels and as aero as most any alloy set you'd find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    I think Reynolds makes great wheels - I race on dv46's and train on the alta races. I actually had a 24 hole powertap built into an alta race rim. I put over 15,000 miles on it last year and it's been great - a few trues and a broken spoke (due to a major pothole on a descent). Great training wheels and as aero as most any alloy set you'd find.
    +1 I think they are better than Mavic hands down and will give any of the other wheel brands, including Zipp, a run for their money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh777
    Anyone have any experience with these wheels:

1) Durability
    2) Stiffness
    3) Issues - problems

!510 grams for $260 at Ecycling store + they have discount specials from time to time dropping the price even more.

Please advise - Thanks
    I have a set (labeled "Aero Comp", which are the same as "Alta Race"... "Alta Comp" are different). I've only got 1,000 miles on them, and not super strong rider, but am very happy with them. They seem to hold up to rough roads well and roll well. I like the way they handle in the cross winds compared to my Mavic Aksiums w/ bladed spokes.

They won't be 1510 grams though. The deal with the Alta Race/Aero Comp wheels is that the original spec was indeed ~1510, but they had problems with broken spokes. They then upgraded the spokes, but they were heavier. Now the wheels weigh about 1560-1590 w/o skewers; mine are in that range. You'll see the wheels with DT, Sapim and Pilar spokes (mine have Pilar). Everything I've read leads me to think all of these spokes are excellent spokes. I broke one of mine* and it the local store had a DT spoke - I can't tell the difference.

My understanding is that "Aero Comp" and "Alta Race" are the same wheel w/ different decals - and this is obvious when you look at them. I read somewhere that the Alta Race were sold as after market, while the Aero Comp were sold as original equipment on some bikes, and that now most of the ones you still see being sold new are old stock Aero Comps, left over not sold to bike mfgrs.

For what it's worth, I bought my wheels from ecyclingstore and they arrived just as expected - in original box, w/ original paperwork, on time, etc. The only nit I picked was that their website and ebay listing used the old spec of 1510 grams, name of Alta race, and spec of either DT or Sapim spokes (can't remember), and they most definitely are heavier than that, are labeled Aero Comp, and have Pilar spokes. Just nits though, not meaningful problems.

*broken spoke story: I actually ran over the wheel with my car (old story - left it leaning against the car and forgot). I was impressed that the only issues were: one spoke replaced, one skewer replaced, and a truing. The skewer is labeled R for reynolds, but it's a generic skewer easy to replace with identical looking one.