RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Reynolds braking surface on newer models -- worth it?

I'm riding a set of 2010 Attacks and think they are a fantastic wheel. Light, stiff, and strong. This is my first set of carbon wheels and after coming from alloy wheels with Swissstop green pads, the braking on these wheels is pretty disappointing. (using the original Reynolds black pads)

The 2011 and newer Reynolds rims have the new CTg/SCRIM braking surface. Is it worth the upgrade? Does the wheel actually have better stopping ability or is it the pad? (or perhaps both?)

Thanks,
    MH

Get me to In&Out
    I am riding the 2013 Assaults. The braking is pretty good with the blue pads provided. Not as good as it would be with a nice set of hand built wheels , but it is totally acceptable for anything I could anticipate.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaller View Post
    I'm riding a set of 2010 Attacks and think they are a fantastic wheel. Light, stiff, and strong. This is my first set of carbon wheels and after coming from alloy wheels with Swissstop green pads, the braking on these wheels is pretty disappointing. (using the original Reynolds black pads)

The 2011 and newer Reynolds rims have the new CTg/SCRIM braking surface. Is it worth the upgrade? Does the wheel actually have better stopping ability or is it the pad? (or perhaps both?)

Thanks,
    MH
    I just switched from 2011 DVK3's (non CTg) to 2012 Assaults with CTg, used blue pads on both. Braking with the CTg brake surface is improved but not enough for me to run out and buy a new set of wheels. I'd clean the brake tracks as Reynolds recommends with a 3m pad and acetone and try the blue pads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Ok, thanks guys. I'll give the Reynolds blue pads a try. Also considering the SwissStop Black Prince pads, too. I know Reynolds does not permit this, but the Black Prince pads are supposed to be as good (and in some cases better) than their Yellows with a lot less heat buildup (which I believe is what Reynolds concern is).

MH