RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Reynolds DV46 C UL vs MV32 C UL???

I have the opportunity to purchase either the DV46's or MV32's (clincher) and I'm not sure which way to go. I already have a superlight race tubular wheelset and set of Spinergy FCC Full Carbon clinchers for training that weigh in at 1615gm. I can sell the Spinergy's and get the DV's for $1600 or the MV's for $1100. Question is this: Should I go for more aero (the DV's) and save about 224 gm over the Sprinergy's or should I go for lighter weight (the MV's) and save about 333gm over the Spinergy's? The MV's are lighter and $500 cheaper than the DV's, but won't be as aero, BUT since they will be used mostly for training, does that even matter? Lastly, since these are just training.club ride wheels, should I just save my cash and stick with the Spinergy's?
    Last edited by phototravel; 09-29-2009 at 08:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    You are already riding a 45mm tall rim, so if you like the ride, I'd get the DV46. However, since they are going to be "training" wheels, will 225 grams really make that much difference anyway? Seems like a lot of $$$ just to make the switch unless you are having some problems with the Spinergys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad
    You are already riding a 45mm tall rim, so if you like the ride, I'd get the DV46. However, since they are going to be "training" wheels, will 225 grams really make that much difference anyway? Seems like a lot of $$$ just to make the switch unless you are having some problems with the Spinergys.
    That's kinda what I was think, but I guess I imagined myself having the clinchers not only as training wheels, but as possible backup wheels at a race, so I wanted to get the lightest, fastest clinchers I could. Maybe I should just stick with what I have as far as "heavier" clinchers go and someday, if I see a good deal on some MV's, get them as an "in between the Spinergy's and my 965gm tubulars" wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The DV46 would make a great clincher race wheel. A friend of mine races Crits on them when he isn't using the 66mm set of Reynolds tubulars he also has. The DV46 is a nice wheel, I'm looking at getting a custom built set for a new Carl Strong frame I'll be receiving in the next 30-60 days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    The DV46 would make a great clincher race wheel. A friend of mine races Crits on them when he isn't using the 66mm set of Reynolds tubulars he also has. The DV46 is a nice wheel, I'm looking at getting a custom built set for a new Carl Strong frame I'll be receiving in the next 30-60 days.
    Very cool. IF you're going custom, be sure to contact Troy at Ligero wheels. He'll give you a good price and his wheelbuilding skills are awesome. You could go Edge 46 and save some weight over the Reynolds. I would go that route, but I already dropped some cash with Troy on my Edge 1.45 Tubulars...965 grams and I love them!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a custom wheelbuilder lined up who also posts here often. I'm a repeat customer, three sets so far, so I'm very pleased with the quality of his work. He also builds with Edge. I have several friends with Reynolds rims and none have had any problems so I'm leaning that way. The set he's suggesting will be built with Alchemy hubs instead of the WI I've always had built for me, CXray spokes, and will run about 1355 grams, light enough for my needs. After all, they are going on a steel bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a custom wheelbuilder lined up who also posts here often. I'm a repeat customer, three sets so far, so I'm very pleased with the quality of his work. He also builds with Edge. I have several friends with Reynolds rims and none have had any problems so I'm leaning that way. The set he's suggesting will be built with Alchemy hubs instead of the WI I've always had built for me, CXray spokes, and will run about 1355 grams, light enough for my needs. After all, they are going on a steel bike.
    Sounds like they will be a very nice set

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I was going through same decision a month ago and wound up getting the MV32s. Somedays I still question it, but having just finished a ride with the wind howling, I was happy I chose the less deep dish when the wind was hitting me sideways. I live in the mountains and climb a lot and as I said very windy, so I felt the 32s were the best all around choice. If I rode mainly flatlands I would have definitaly gone with the 46s. Would really like to have a 46 for rear and 32 for front!

RoadBikeReview Member
    get the 46's - the aero benefits outweigh the weight savings over the 32 (it would take something like a 12% grade for the weight savings to matter). 46 is not too deep for most wind conditions (unless you weigh something like 130 pounds). I've had a set of the 46's for 3 years - they are a tough wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the info...seems like my best bet may just be to stay put with my wheels. I have the light weight tubulars for climbing and the deeper Spinergy's for training...just being greedy, I guess

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phototravel
    You could go Edge 46 and save some weight over the Reynolds.
    Edge rims are heavier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    What is the weight of the Reynolds 46mm??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Zen's site says.....
    420 for the Reynolds vs. 440 for the Edge. My builder quoted 430 for the Reynolds which I assume is based on rims he's actually received and built. Each will be slightly different for either company.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    All of the Reynolds MV32c rims that I have received weighed between 420 to 430g, I built up some MV32cUL rims recently and they were 374g. The Edge 45 clinchers were weighing 440 to 455g but recently they started coming much lighter. I got a shipment of 6 rims in and they were 399, 418, 422, 423, 423 and 426g.

All of the above weights were with decals so if you are the decal removing type take off 5 to 10g per rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    get the 46's - the aero benefits outweigh the weight savings over the 32
    First off, as I stated before I am still questioning my decision not going with the 46s, but can 14 mm difference between the two rims really make that much difference in aero benefit over the course of a ride/race? Are we splitting hairs between the two?

Also, do the deeper dish carbon rims make the ride stiffer and/or harsher? Just curious.