RoadBikeReview Member

Reynolds stratus clinchers

Anyone has an experience with them? I looked in the net and saw mixed opinions. Some said very fast and rigid and other say they tend to flex, they create a very noisy rear sound from the hub maybe, some said spokes tend to have issue..!
    Any idea? Also if there is any different in the stratus category for other model like DV UL ect.. Please let me know
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    The Stratus became the DV46 which became the 46. They did that model in 16/20 or 20/24 spoke count. The 16/20's were a little flexy for a more powerful rider. The 20/24's when tensioned correctly were pretty solid. They stopped using the Stratus moniker in 2007, so you are looking a wheelset that's at least 6 years old.
    Used to work there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's very helpful thank you.
    Could you tell me the range of years for the DV I guess started at 2007...? And then after came the 46?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    The Stratus became the DV46 which became the 46. They did that model in 16/20 or 20/24 spoke count. The 16/20's were a little flexy for a more powerful rider. The 20/24's when tensioned correctly were pretty solid. They stopped using the Stratus moniker in 2007, so you are looking a wheelset that's at least 6 years old.
    Used to work there.
    Also since you used to work there, what can you tell about the carbon attack 32mm rim carbon clinchers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, the Stratus evolved into the DV46 in 2007. In 2011, they became the 46...updates included a much better braking surface and the Swirl Lip Generator for better aerodynamics.
    The Attack launched in 2007. Got the same new brake treatment for 2011 (as did all road wheels, except the R2). Let me know what specifically you want to know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm looking for clincher as I have tubular zipp). I saw one sratus 46 full carbon and one attack 32mm rime full carbon, again both are clinchers. I tend to BELIVE the attack are better and newer. I know that they are a bit different as the status is more aero and the attack lighters and for more climbing. I'm not racing just training and doing sportives. what do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jonney
    Here are the attack I'm looking at they are 2009 and here their pictures
    http://img560.imageshack.us/slidesho...cimg1019bn.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    You just have to decide if you want a lighter wheel or a more aero wheel. My only concern with the Stratus would be that the brake surface is likely wearing thin. Carbon specific pads were few and far between when these wheels came out and the ones that were available weren't always good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    You just have to decide if you want a lighter wheel or a more aero wheel. My only concern with the Stratus would be that the brake surface is likely wearing thin. Carbon specific pads were few and far between when these wheels came out and the ones that were available weren't always good.
    I have a pair of these still kicking around that I bought new when they were current. From the start I used SwissStop yellow pads and even had they not been available cork pads were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I was just trying to help a guy out and not start a "discussion", but cork is the worst possible pad you can use with Reynolds wheels. Worse than a standard rubber pad as it retains heat moreso. Swisstops are better and were supplied with the wheels at one point, but things have improved considerably since then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tend to go for the lighter clincher since I have a pair of 404 tubular. Thanks for that. By the way for the Reynolds you recommend Swiss stop or the one Reynolds makes..?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    @Johnny_Utah - SInce you worked at Reynolds I'm gonna ask here. I have a pair for 2011 DV3K clinchers. They get really loud squeal and smell on long descents. Is there any chance these are going to explode/delaminate/kill me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Use the Reynolds blue pads. They are much better for heat dissipation with any Reynolds rim ever made than anything else out there. This was tested in the lab and on the roads.
    Any rim can (yes, including alloy and tubular) can deform from overheating. With carbon clinchers in particular, you want to allow the rims to cool down. Brake hard going into turns and then let off. As with your car, you don't want to be on the brakes all the way down a mountain.
    You should not have any squeal using DV3K's with the blue pads set up correctly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hmm....tons of squeal when the blue pads get hot. The pads also seem to get burnt on the bottom half, i.e. the pad on the bottom turns black. Does the wheelset have a break-in period for the braking surface?