Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    evo pave are 24... would look great!
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoikz
    Thanks for some really smart feedback. I'm a big guy and tend to get a lot of pinch flats, hence the tubulars. Lot's of really nasty roads in the NE. In particular I've flatted out of my favorite race the last 2 years and if nothing else these are going to be the wheels for that race.
    Tire wise I'm pretty sold on the Conti Sprinter Gatorskins. I've been racing them this year and loved their reliability. Didn't like the limited sizes. I don't know of any other tires that have the sidewall protection they have. Plenty of options with good flat protection, but the sidewalls are exposed. Riding the dirt and rocks at Battenkill I got plenty of sidewall cuts, one of which took me out. If anyone knows of a tubie with good sidewall protection in a 25c lemme know.
    Anyone know for sure the spoke lengths for DA 7900, Nemesis, 3 cross, 32 hole?
    Maybe look at Tufo - they make a 23 Elite Ride that has sidewall protection and they also offer a 25 (look on biketiresdirect.com). They aren't cheap and I didn't especially like the Tufo's I tried but that was quite a while ago that I tried them and not this particular tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    bump - my wheels are almost good to go
    any suggestions for brake pads that will be gentle on the rims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    If anyone is interested, I carry the Torelli Triumph rim (made for Torelli by Ambrosio) which is a clincher alternative to the Ambrosio Nemesis. I think it is identical to the Ambrosio balance rim.

Ambrosio rims are really nice. Someone wanted to try my personal wheelset today, and he ended up buying them from me...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist
    If anyone is interested, I carry the Torelli Triumph rim (made for Torelli by Ambrosio) which is a clincher alternative to the Ambrosio Nemesis. I think it is identical to the Ambrosio balance rim.
    Torelli Triumph = Ambrosio Excellence. Also relabeled as the Colnago rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    bump - my wheels are almost good to go
    any suggestions for brake pads that will be gentle on the rims?
    I've found that both swiss stop and kool stop play nice with aluminum rims. Maybe the edge to swiss stop though, not by much though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    thanks for that, i have heard that swisstop greens are fairly gentle...

RoadBikeReview Member
    They do tend to wear a bit quicker but it's cheaper and easier to replace the pads than the rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Look at these beauties I just built. Torelli Triumph rims, White Industries H2/H3 hubs, and Sapim Race spokes. It isn't the lightest wheelset, but it wasn't built to be light. Front 792g, rear 941g, combined 1733g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Ambrosio Nemesis Tubular-front_small.jpg   Ride Report: Ambrosio Nemesis Tubular-rear_small.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    so i have done a few races with these wheels now, 32h, DA7800 hubs, swisstop green pads and vittoria corsa 21mm tyres

very very happy, super stiff wheels (though thats probably the builder) combined with the vittoria tyres inspires a lot of confidence cornering at high speed

the low profile looks very business like on a carbon frame too, and doesnt make a whole heap of noise like a deep wheelset does so you can surprise the field without the obvious wooshing noises as you come around the outisde

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Hi , I can,t find online spoke lenght calculator . the sapim and Dtswiss online calculator don,t give the hubs choice ,( only maviv and DT ) .
    the rims are Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rim with Campagnolo Record 9 speed 36 h rear ;and Chorus 1997 32 h front.
    some help.?
    many thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duboisdeflute
    Hi , I can,t find online spoke lenght calculator . the sapim and Dtswiss online calculator don,t give the hubs choice ,( only maviv and DT ) .
    the rims are Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rim with Campagnolo Record 9 speed 36 h rear ;and Chorus 1997 32 h front.
    some help.?
    many thanks.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
    Damon Rinard's spocalc has the parts you list.

Wafflekyd
    Sep 2008
    I know this is an old thread but thought I'd respond anyway. I just built up some Ambrosio Nemesis rims with Chris King R45 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes in 32-3x configuration. I did the hubs in blue for a modern take on a classic wheelset. 1484 grams total. Glued on some Veloflex Roubaix's (24mm), which has become my favorite tire for general use.
    Best wheels I've ever ridden, and I own some Mavic Ultimates (which I also like) I paid more than $3000 for. Ride quality is just phenomenal, they corner with the best, and they climb well too.
    The funny thing is that people spend far more for commercially-made wheels, and end up with crap by comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    so i have done a few races with these wheels now, 32h, DA7800 hubs, swisstop green pads and vittoria corsa 21mm tyres

very very happy, super stiff wheels (though thats probably the builder) combined with the vittoria tyres inspires a lot of confidence cornering at high speed

the low profile looks very business like on a carbon frame too, and doesnt make a whole heap of noise like a deep wheelset does so you can surprise the field without the obvious wooshing noises as you come around the outisde
    sorry to bring back this thread.. but would like to know how your wheelset is built. i'm looking to get the nemesis rim and thinking to either use DT240 hubs or some DA hubs. since this post has been a while, i'm thinking to also use CX Rays spokes as well.

thoughts on what lacing pattern to use? i weigh about 70Kg. thanks~

wheelbuilder
    I'd recommend the DT over the current Dura Ace for 11 speed. The flange spacing really suffers and tension on the left is comparatively low. Since you can't crank down the tension that high on Nemesis rims I don't think it's enough without using some sort of thread lock (chemical or mechanical).

I'd also recommend saving the money and sticking with round, double butted spokes. The cost upgrade to CX-Rays will not improve the wheels in any way but looks. These are not aero wheels by any stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Ergott, thanks for the tip. Then I'll go with DT240s road hubs 32H. For spokes which version of the double butt round would be the lightest one you'd recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12