RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Which rim to choose?

I am looking to build another rear wheel, I have bought Roger Musson book, so now I must pick a rim. I have a history of rear rim cracking near the spoke holes (about 5 or 6 in the last 6 years). I'm about 6'2" an 225 lbs, an avg about 3700 miles a year, lot of hills and small moutains. I am looking at a Dt Swiss 460 32 hole, and a H Plus Son Archtype 32 hole, I see good remarks about both but am not sure which one to get. I like the price of the Dt 460, but am not sure how it will hold up to my cracking problem, I like the looks of the H Plus Son a little better, I wonder if one would hold better than the other.

grizzly moderator
    I'm bigger than you and put more miles than you on a yearly basis. The Archetype 32h is my rim of choice on my rando/touring rig.
    Although rider weight and mileage are not the only factors affecting wheel longevity, between the two rims you mentioned I would choose the Archetype because I believe the Archetype would be able to absorb more punishment than the 460 would.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    From what I read most of the time the Archetype is were I'm leaning, but I did exhange e-mail with wheel builder Joe Young an I mentioned the Archetype to him as a possibly built an he didn't like it, his words were("I tried the H plus Son rims but didn’t care for the over all quality. I find the don’t hold true and tension well"). So I am a little in doubt about it. He was suggesting Dt Swiss hubs an rims.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    From what I read most of the time the Archetype is were I'm leaning, but I did exhange e-mail with wheel builder Joe Young an I mentioned the Archetype to him as a possibly built an he didn't like it, his words were("I tried the H plus Son rims but didn’t care for the over all quality. I find the don’t hold true and tension well"). So I am a little in doubt about it. He was suggesting Dt Swiss hubs an rims.
    In my experience Joe Young's statement is grossly unfounded. I have worked with the Archetype and the TB-14. I consistently find these rims of very good quality.
    I am of the opinion that a Google search on Archetype will prove Joe Young to be on a very shaky ground in reference to the validity of what you referred as his statement.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    On my Archetypes the welding seam is not machined away on the inside, so there are noticeable bumps under the hooks.
    I smoothed them somewhat with sanding paper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beanpole View Post
    On my Archetypes the welding seam is not machined away on the inside, so there are noticeable bumps under the hooks.
    I smoothed them somewhat with sanding paper.
    I think this was some of the issues he was referring to, I have a Pacenti rim that I had to same thing you did. Not a big deal I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All in all I built 6 wheels with DT R460 rims and all have performed perfect. I'm even so beaver to put it on my touring bike as a rim of choice.
    On the other hand my friend has similar love with Archetypes.
    To be honest both rims have performed flawless, DT R460 being cheaper and Archetype looking cooler.
    One thing I have notices, when I bought R460 two in 2015 they came in 483g, I got two new rims last week and both were 456. Somehow they took 30g out of those rims

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

grizzly moderator
    I have seen some Archetype with the welding seam in the rim well not smoothed out. I did not have to file the seam to have the tire bead fit with the ones i used. I did not notice any hop or flat spots and so far i have found these rims to be round and build well. Equivalent to HED C2 I would say.
    This is a set I happen to have now. The first rim shows the inside weld seam not smoothed out, the second rim does not. This is how they came.

The 460 is a nice rim as well. Other than having to debur a couple of them I did not have had any problems. Although they are tubeless, fitting tires on them is not as bad as on some of the other tubeless. It's just that between the Archetype and the 460 I would pick the Archetype.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which rim to choose?-img_0614.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just built an rear touring wheel with DT R460 rim, and after centering I realised it is best wheel I have ever built. I have put nipple washers so went with tension little bit above rim specification but I expect tension to drop by 10 kgf even though I stress releived it properly because Alpina 2.3/2.0 spokes that I used are very hard to stress relieve.
    Anyway wheel is centered to perfection and tension is absolutely perfect.

I must say that I'm impressed how this rim built easy, fast and into perfect tensioned wheel.
    Two years ago I built two sets of road wheels with R460 rims. Rims were heavier then (483g vs 459g now) and built well but not so perfect like now. Looks like new batchs are somehow improved. One detail I noticed, now each rim came in cardbox which might protect it from bending in transport.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...