RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Rim recommendations for ambrosio hubs

After breaking yet another spoke on my current wheels - entry-level Spec Allez wheels, Alex DA-16 rims on no-name hubs - I'm after a set of decent handmade wheels.

I'm looking at approaching Harry Rowland to build me a set using Ambrosio hubs, which should give an indication of the level of wheel I'm after, nothing bank-breaking but hopefully of reasonable quality.

I'm not sure of either the spoke count or rim I should be after, and would appreciate any recommendations on both these things. I'm heavy (16 1/2 stone - eta: around 230 lb for US readers) and ride a 55 mile round commute twice a week, I don't race although I'd prefer something reasonably light it's not the be-all and end-all.

All advice gratefully received, as would a rough estimate of cost (for UK readers!)

Thanks in advance.

eta: link to hubs:
    http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/ambrosio_zenith_hubs.htm
    Last edited by mattie; 09-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Ambrosio Excellence rims, 32 holes

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.ph...XCELLENCE.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Many thanks, I'll contact Harry to see what the damage will be for wheels built up with those.

They certainly sound sturdy enough!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Well, after a long delay and saving up the pennies, I've finally bought a set.

Ambrosio Zenith and Excellence/Excelight rims (whatever he can get out the door quickest before Christmas - not fussed either way), 32 holes.

Wildboar, I gave Harry my requirements and he came to the exact same conclusion as you!