your god hates me

rim & tire don't play nice together? or...?

Me being the Wonderful Husband™ that I am, I bought the missus some handbuilt wheels by Joe Young for her birthday: DT Swiss 240S hubs and RR440 clincher rims. Mmm, nice! I've used a very similar combination on a couple of my bikes for years, been very happy.

But on her new wheels it is an absolute ***** to get Conti GP4000SII clinchers on or off! It's not just her (or me), several other folks attempted to assist her with a roadside flat repair recently and were astonished at how difficult it was to get the tire back on the rim.

I use the same tires and don't recall ever having this much difficulty...but then again, mine are not RR440 rims (and if they ever were, they were not the most recent version).

Is this RR440 + GP4000SII a known bad rim/tire combination? ...or is this a freak one-off? If it is a known issue, can anyone recommend a 25c clincher that's more forgiving of delicate lady hands when it comes to mounting on RR440 rims?

Thanks.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    What kind of rim tape?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

I use the same tires and don't recall ever having this much difficulty.
    The same tires as in the same tires or the same brand/model?
    I'd try another tire before drawing any conclusions about the rim. Like one you've already used and didn't have problem getting on your rim.

Rim tape definitely matters as mentioned. Stans yellow and similar is much better in this regard than that cloth crap or rim strips.

If all else fails try pumping tires to like 135 psi when not in use for a few days. Theoretically the bead won't stretch, and maybe is doesn't, but for what ever reason tires do become easier to mount over time and by pumping them to excess you'd be accelerating the time you need to wait for them to be easier.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    The same tires as in the same tires or the same brand/model?
    I'd try another tire before drawing any conclusions about the rim. Like one you've already used and didn't have problem getting on your rim.

Rim tape definitely matters as mentioned. Stans yellow and similar is much better in this regard than that cloth crap or rim strips.

If all else fails try pumping tires to like 135 psi when not in use for a few days. Theoretically the bead won't stretch, and maybe is doesn't, but for what ever reason tires do become easier to mount over time and by pumping them to excess you'd be accelerating the time you need to wait for them to be easier.
    I think that some beads do stretch just a little bit, I've mounted tires that were a total ***** when new and were noticeably looser when removed later.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I think tires can change batch to batch. The last set of GP4KSII 25C tires I got fit WAY tighter than any set of same I have had previously. This particular set is still hard to mount even after been used for awhile. Tight tires with tubeless compat wheels can be a real PITA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that these are the first tubeless compatible rims you have had. Tubeless compatible rim are inherently harder to mount tires on. If you look at the link below, you will see the profile of this rim:

Druck - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

This profile is typical of tubeless compatible rims. More and more rims are designed this way now and there is no escaping it. But there is a trick to mounting tires on these.

When you get to the point where you are struggling at getting that last part of the tire bead on the rim, go to the opposite end of the rim and squeeze the tire bead into that middle channel. Try to do this for as much of that opposing area as you can. Work you way up both ends back up to that last section of bead that you are having trouble getting on the rim. It should be easier now.

Also, sometimes letting a little more air out of the tube at this end part of the job helps too.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Kool Stop Tire Jack is a great tool. Not something that you will carry on the road but works well

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

changingleaf
    Like others have said, check the rim tape. Two layers of thin, tubeless rim tape should be used over cloth tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Like others have said, check the rim tape. Two layers of thin, tubeless rim tape should be used over cloth tape.
    And he means over as in 'instead of' not over as in on top of.

changingleaf
    And he means over as in 'instead of' not over as in on top of.
    Correct! Good catch. Instead of cloth tape!

a real member's member
    the var tire tool is light enough to carry with you.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    What kind of rim tape?
    Some weird plastic-y DTSwiss rims strips that feel like waxed canvas. I just removed them & replaced them with Stan's tubeless tape.

yeah, the Stan's yellow definitely seemed to help. Was able to get the tires on much more easily than before.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Some weird plastic-y DTSwiss rims strips that feel like waxed canvas. I just removed them & replaced them with Stan's tubeless tape.

yeah, the Stan's yellow definitely seemed to help. Was able to get the tires on much more easily than before.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    Glad you got it cinched.

I like Stan's too, and have also used Velo Plugs on a particularly tight rim before with success.
    Discover The Source for Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn' and 'Burn It Up'.

https://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    like you said, some combinations do this. with me its combining mavic wheels and michelin pro 4 tires(the same tires on my dura ace c-24's are a snap to change), but the problem seems at its worst when the tires are new and stiff, maybe you should purchase used tires for your wife or simply experiment with a different tire.