Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    My solution: A nice box-section rim with spoke ferrules, 32 holes laced 3x, wider, tough tubular tires (TUFO S3 pros, 24mm), run at lower pressure.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Good advice. Looking into the tires mentioned.

This thread has been very useful. I'm looking at the DT road rims now and some 28 tires of a higher quality. I run the DT 540s on my tour bike and have liked them. Deciding now between the 460 and the 440 for my race bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    My solution: A nice box-section rim with spoke ferrules, 32 holes laced 3x, wider, tough tubular tires (TUFO S3 pros, 24mm), run at lower pressure.
    And what will a box section rim do other than look retro? What do you mean by spoke ferrules? Do you mean eyelets?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigormortis View Post
    I'm looking at the DT road rims now and some 28 tires of a higher quality.
    32c tires of they'll fit in your frame!

I run the DT 540s on my tour bike and have liked them. Deciding now between the 460 and the 440 for my race bike.
    460!!!!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

A wheelist
    Mid '70s era wheels.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    32c tires of they'll fit in your frame!

460!!!!

Awww. 32mm.So adorable!

"Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Does this OP sound like the type of guy that's looking to take on tubulars and their hassle?
    And if you're going to get tubulars why choose the worse ones on the market? (maybe not literally but it's pretty much universally acknowledged that tufo tires suck)

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Does this OP sound like the type of guy that's looking to take on tubulars and their hassle?
    And if you're going to get tubulars why choose the worse ones on the market? (maybe not literally but it's pretty much universally acknowledged that tufo tires suck)
    SOME Tufos DO suck (S33 specials come to mind), but my S3Pros have grippy rubber, ride fairly smooth, and are just about as bulletproof a tire as I've ever owned. I'll take this bike out anywhere, broken glass and broken pavement be damned. When I want a ride on better tires, I take out my Trek with the Challenge tubulars on semi-aero rims, but not on the worst roads...

Oh, my Cannondale is from 86, so looking a bit 'retro' is OK. Goes along with my Brooks saddle. I won't go gumwall, though....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    SOME Tufos DO suck (S33 specials come to mind), but my S3Pros have grippy rubber, ride fairly smooth, and are just about as bulletproof a tire as I've ever owned. I'll take this bike out anywhere, broken glass and broken pavement be damned. When I want a ride on better tires, I take out my Trek with the Challenge tubulars on semi-aero rims, but not on the worst roads...

I tend to doubt any tire that's "bulletproof" is a good choice for racing or more supple than average thus might help cornering and stability.
    Maybe you didn't notice the OP is looking for a race tire that also helps handling and hasn't mentioned flat protection being a huge priority?

And then there's the whole tubular thing which ain't for everyone.

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    But if you want to corner better you'd be better off with tires that are anything but stiff and latex tubes.
    Win:win on efficiency, flat protection, suppleness ...
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Awww. 32mm.So adorable!

Ha! We really haven't had any feedback from the OP if even 32mm will fit his frame.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    I'm thinking more about lateral stiffness in the wheel, and of course finding a wheel that is most suited to the 28 tires.

I've looked at the carbon wheels available, and they are wider for sure; but I'm not wanting to spend that much more, and I don't trust them for longevity.
    This is right up our alley at Alto. It comes down to spoke tension balance, more so that the number of spokes. If you can engage the non-drive spokes on the rear wheel (via shell geo, lacing pattern, composite laminate, etc) then there isn't much reason to go to a 28 or 32 spoke rim brake wheel. This thread is essentially the reason why we designed our products the way that we did! If you have any particular questions, please let me know!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    The section of road that gave me problems and prompted this post was the cause of a tragic crash in the Tour of the Gila on Sunday that sent five riders to the pavement, including Chad Young, who is not expected to recover.
    Chad Young not expected to recover from Gila crash | VeloNews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I've selected the DT Swiss 411 with 32 spokes in the back and 28 in the front, and running Vittorio 28 at 80 psi in the back and 70 psi in the front. Supple tires with good traction and low rolling resistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've selected the DT Swiss 411 with 32 spokes in the back and 28 in the front, and running Vittorio 28 at 80 psi in the back and 70 psi in the front. Supple tires with good traction and low rolling resistance.

Ahhh, the 411 is one of DT Swiss' newest offerings. It is basically a shallower version of the 460. Design looks good. I think you'll be happy with this one.

-- Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12