RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Thumbs up ROL Race SL v. Williams 30x or custom

Thanks for reading, I know there are several ROL / Williams threads and I've read them all and still can't come to a decision!

195-205 lbs rider; I'm a college C rider to start this season and looking for something that will not be a disadvantage in the top of the B field (maybe next year ). Max budget is right around the ROL Race SL; $600. Wheel needs to be an all-arounder as much as possible as it will be used in time trials, road races, crits each weekend and in tri's next summer. I'm strongest at criteriums. Wheels will be used on race weekend only for now; have a pair of fairly solid CXP-22's w. ultegra hubs for training.

I'm obviously looking for the most wheel to be had for $500-$600. I know ROL Race SL and Williams 30x are at the top of any list. I'm not considering any other direct-to-consumer company or brand, but I am interested in hearing what a wheel builder can do for $550 and in references to somebody who knows what they are doing.

At this point, I'm trying to decide between ROL and Williams based on the small differences that might exist in serviceability, customer service, and quality of components (how do things hold up over the long run, what company are the bearings sourced from?).

I've heard incredible stories of Keith Williams' customer service, and generally positive reviews of Sean of ROL. But I do wonder if the reason I don't hear of ROL going through the impressive act of immediately sending new wheels is because they almost never need to because their product is of higher quality.

Williams specifically addresses serviceability on their website, and that is reassuring. The 30x is heavier than the RACE SL, but also has a higher spoke count and higher weight limit. I haven't spoken to ROL and don't know if they would recommend more spokes for me.

Williams and their customers and reviewers make a very big deal out of the hybrid ceramic bearings; how much influence should this have on me over the bearings with the Race SL? Do both of these wheel's bearings make that annoying noise when coasting? That might be enough to convince me! I know some people find the noise cool but I like silence

And of course, the ROLs are $100 more...so in that regard maybe a good question to ask would be, "what makes them 20% better than the 30x?"

Somebody sway me!
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Bump. I was going to ask this exact question but. I am interested in the ROL Race SL vs The Williams 30.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I just recieved my ROL Race SLs and they are fantastic. Sean is very impressive to talk to and guided me in a wheel build for me. I went a bit of a different route and built mine around the DT swiss 240 hub with a higher spoke count. I ride a lot and wanted a wheel that would be bullet proof. The DT combo is slightly lighter than the standard due to wieght loss in the hub which offsets the additional spoke count. I had them out on the maiden voyage today and they are fast fast fast. I had a lot of spoke poping so I called Sean and he was stumped about it, I am going to try a couple of things tonight that he suggested. He said to call him first thing tomorrow and if it is still there he will have me a new wheel out tomorrow. That is customer centered business at it's finest. I buy things from companies that value me as a customer and Sean is a king in that department. I have recomended him to three of my buddies who are looking at new wheels.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    you can get a wheelset that is lighter at the rim with more spokes for the price at Bicycling wheel warehouse. the ROL and williams wheelset use rims that 435-465 grams in weight. http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...ewCat&catId=43

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    It looks like the spoke or spokes that were poping seated becasue last night and this morning no noise at all. I rode with my riding group this morning and I have been a middle of the pack guy. I would lead for a few short minutes here and there for a total of about 1/10 of the ride total. This morning I led the pack for all but about 5 minutes so the wheels were a very good investment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Buy the Race SLs
    Install tubes and tires
    Install cassette
    Go ride.

I've put 6000+ miles on mine and they are arrow true and round. No issues whatsoever.