RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

ROL SL vs. Vuelta Corsa SL

Anybody have any experience with the Rol sl or Vuelta Corsa super lites wheels?
    Which do you prefer and why?

Vuelta ~ $400
    Rol ~ $625

Thanks,

Mike

pedalpedalpedal
    I'm interested in the Vuelta Corsa SL, too. It gets decent reviews and is reasonably light, but the manufacturer's weight claims are apparently B.S. My current wheelset is 1,716g, so dropping to around 1,500g would be great, especially for that price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Machine built in Taiwan, or handbuilt in Texas...you decide.

banned
    Oct 2001
    You'll do better here:

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...ewCat&catId=43

as a disclaimer- I don't own any of their wheels, but I've heard/read good things.

pedalpedalpedal
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    Machine built in Taiwan, or handbuilt in Texas...you decide.
    $625/pr vs $400/pr. That's more than 50% more for a similar wheel, and it's not like it takes a brain surgeon to check tension before the first ride and after 100 more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    But how do ROL's stack up against PURE race superlites ?

banned
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner3155
    But how do ROL's stack up against PURE race superlites ?

they don't. they're supposed to be "all arounders". I've always felt for the price point, the weight was mediocre at best, especially when you start looking around at soul wheels, bicyclewheelwarehouse and there are a few others, not to mention going to a custom wheelbuilder who will use whatever you spec and can tailor them to your needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Our Megadeth fan has no experience with any of the wheels mentioned, but an opinion on all of them. Take with a grain of salt...the size of a deer lick.

banned
    Oct 2001
    Our Megadeth fan has no experience with any of the wheels mentioned, but an opinion on all of them. Take with a grain of salt...the size of a deer lick.

OMG-- let it go. Heaven forbid someone doesn't actually like ROL wheels. Hey, I don't like zipp wheels either, never ridden them (unlike the ROL race sl) which I have ridden once for about 4 or 5 hours. They're wheels- they're not bad, I just don't think they're that great for $625, you can do better, as mentioned in other threads as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313
    OMG-- let it go. Heaven forbid someone doesn't actually like ROL wheels. Hey, I don't like zipp wheels either, never ridden them (unlike the ROL race sl) which I have ridden once for about 4 or 5 hours. They're wheels- they're not bad, I just don't think they're that great for $625, you can do better, as mentioned in other threads as well.
    I merely stated that the Vueltas are machine built in Taiwan, and the ROLs are handbuilt in Texas. Nothing more was said, except for you interjecting your opinion. You even admitted you had no experience with BWW, and I'm guessing you have none with the Vuelta wheels either!
    So, in this thread, as usual, you are batting zero...
    Go troll somewhere else...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    how do you know which rol's are made in texas?

from their site

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Are your wheels hand-built?

Yes, all of our wheels are hand-built whether they are built in the US or in our factory in Taichung, Taiwan.

banned
    Oct 2001
    I merely stated that the Vueltas are machine built in Taiwan, and the ROLs are handbuilt in Texas. Nothing more was said, except for you interjecting your opinion. You even admitted you had no experience with BWW, and I'm guessing you have none with the Vuelta wheels either!
    So, in this thread, as usual, you are batting zero...
    Go troll somewhere else...

no reason to go ruining other people's threads by going after me when I'm trying to contribute to a thread. I don't like rol's, you do. post your opinion and stop going after me.

MODS?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    how do you know which rol's are made in texas?

from their site

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Are your wheels hand-built?

Yes, all of our wheels are hand-built whether they are built in the US or in our factory in Taichung, Taiwan.
    Sean told me that the Volants are built in Taiwan, while everything else is built in Austin. Not sure about the Volant R/T wheels. I need to call Sean anyway...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313
    no reason to go ruining other people's threads by going after me when I'm trying to contribute to a thread. I don't like rol's, you do. post your opinion and stop going after me.

MODS?
    I do post my experience with ROL, yet everytime someone posts anything about the wheels, regardless of which model, you seem to crap on them because you've ridden ONE set on ONE ride. That's anecdotal, at best, and contains so many unknown variables that it just cannot be taken seriously. Tires? Tubes? Pressures? Shall I go on?
    Like I said, and will continue to say, if you don't have actual experience with a product, keep your mouth shut. Lack of knowledge doesn't add to the conversation.
    And a)calling for the mods ad b) PM'ing me is weaksauce. I didn't read the PM and won't read others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Sean told me that the Volants are built in Taiwan, while everything else is built in Austin. Not sure about the Volant R/T wheels. I need to call Sean anyway...
    thanks for the info, that would steer me towards the SL's for sure over something made overseas!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    thanks for the info, that would steer me towards the SL's for sure over something made overseas!
    I did quite a bit of searching, about a year's worth of reading, talking to other bikers, comparing specs and prices, and just recently decided to go for a set of Rol SLs. They come in around a pound lighter than my old Mavics. Vuelta probably has simmilar products, but I found their weight limits a bit light for every day wheels, so that worried me a little, especially since the roads I ride are less than perfect.

It's a tough choice to make. There are a lot of good wheels out there to pick from, but most of them are in the way more expensive category. Love the HED Ardennes - Flamme Rouge, for example, but their $1,450 price tag more than outweighs the benefit gained from that of that skimpy 1415 gram per pair weight. When you look a that small part of the equation, they are only around 135 grams lighter than the advertized Rol SL weight. Of course you do miss out on the HED's ceramic bearings!

Bang for the buck is there and their user reviews aren't that shabby. Unless the weight weenie in all of us gets to you, or you ride "Le Tour" level, the Rol SLs should be a great choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't like the Rol's just because backinthesaddle does.
    Last edited by VanillaGorila; 09-20-2010 at 09:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorila
    I don't like the Rol's just because backinthesaddle does.
    Sweet! Cool! Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainebikah
    I did quite a bit of searching, about a year's worth of reading, talking to other bikers, comparing specs and prices, and just recently decided to go for a set of Rol SLs. They come in around a pound lighter than my old Mavics. Vuelta probably has simmilar products, but I found their weight limits a bit light for every day wheels, so that worried me a little, especially since the roads I ride are less than perfect.

It's a tough choice to make. There are a lot of good wheels out there to pick from, but most of them are in the way more expensive category. Love the HED Ardennes - Flamme Rouge, for example, but their $1,450 price tag more than outweighs the benefit gained from that of that skimpy 1415 gram per pair weight. When you look a that small part of the equation, they are only around 135 grams lighter than the advertized Rol SL weight. Of course you do miss out on the HED's ceramic bearings!

Bang for the buck is there and their user reviews aren't that shabby. Unless the weight weenie in all of us gets to you, or you ride "Le Tour" level, the Rol SLs should be a great choice.

The hubs in my Race SLs are dead smooth. They spin as long as my White Industries hubsets. Mine have the blue seal Enduro bearings, same as the WI hubs.
    As for the weight, the 1550 is pretty accurate. Mine weighed 1545 out of the box.

People get too geeked up about weight anyway. Anything less than 1650g or so is good. Hell, 10 years ago, a 1500 gram wheelset was considered a 'climbing' wheel anyway.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

The ignore feature is your friend.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a pair of ROL Volants that I really like. I also have a pair of Easton EA90 SLX and Bontrager RaceLites. I prefer the ROL's over the other two. I would agree that weight is overrated. My easton's are almost 200 grams lighter and I still don't prefer them. I had one accident distroying a front wheel, Sean had a replacement out the door at a reasonable price that day. I didn't pay him for a week. Same thing on replacement cassette, he said shoot me your address and I will ship one out. He didn't even mention payment. He is a good guy, but I do like his product as well. If I was looking to buy now I would look at the ROL SL's or a Campy Neutron's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack
    I have a pair of ROL Volants that I really like. I also have a pair of Easton EA90 SLX and Bontrager RaceLites. I prefer the ROL's over the other two. I would agree that weight is overrated. My easton's are almost 200 grams lighter and I still don't prefer them. I had one accident distroying a front wheel, Sean had a replacement out the door at a reasonable price that day. I didn't pay him for a week. Same thing on replacement cassette, he said shoot me your address and I will ship one out. He didn't even mention payment. He is a good guy, but I do like his product as well. If I was looking to buy now I would look at the ROL SL's or a Campy Neutron's.
    That's another part of the Rol wheel deal. I haven't heard anyone that has not been impressed with the crew there in Austin. Sean and his cohorts are extremely helpful and prompt, whether it's answering email questions or shipping out a set of wheels.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    i just follow the wheelset that has the lightest rim weight with the most spokes. if it's handbuilt even better.