Thread: Rol Wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Rol Wheels

Rol wheels SL, are they worth it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I'm riding the D'Huez. Great wheels. The owner Sean is great to deal with.

I would think the Volant is a better deal than the SL. Specially if there are any of the 07's left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I'm enjoying my D'huez's purchased this summer, Sean as the above poster said, is a pleasure to deal with and his wheels and prices are excellent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    What is the difference in the hubs on the volante and the d'huez? A "3D forged Rol hubset" is mentioned on their site for the d'Heuz wheels, but the Volante's hubset isn't touted. Do you think you could get away with using the d'Huez everyday to train, or are they just a special event or racing wheel?
    David Leroy Loving, III
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyIII
    What is the difference in the hubs on the volante and the d'huez? A "3D forged Rol hubset" is mentioned on their site for the d'Heuz wheels, but the Volante's hubset isn't touted. Do you think you could get away with using the d'Huez everyday to train, or are they just a special event or racing wheel?
    I'm riding the d'Huez full time.

Best I could tell last year, difference between SL and D'Huez was spokes.

Volant was probably a different rim as well as spokes. I really dont know if Sean specs a different hub on Volants, at that price point it would not suprise me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    The Volants are sourced from Taiwan. They use straight-out-of-the-Taiwan Bicycle Guide hubs, Pillar spokes and 27mm hoops. Pretty standard issue stuff. They are handbuilt and stress-relieved though...

The rest of the ROL line up is sourced and then handbuilt in Boulder. The rims are Niobium 27 and 30 hoops. The hubs are sourced, but better than the Volant hubs and the spokes are DT Swiss Aero with DT Swiss Prolock nipples.
    The carbon hoops are Zipp non-dimpled. You can get the 38mm carbon wheels built with Edge Composite hoops as well. The Edge hoops are lighter AND stronger than the Zipps.

If you are looking for a set of training wheels to beat on, get the Volants, if you want race day stuff, go for the others. I like my Volants, but will be racing other stuff. My next set of wheels will be the Race SLs though...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    ...The rest of the ROL line up is sourced and then handbuilt in Boulder...
    I dont believe SL or D'Huez are built in Boulder any longer. It was true until late 2007.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 67fb
    I dont believe SL or D'Huez are built in Boulder any longer. It was true until late 2007.

Really? Because I talked to Sean for an hour two weeks ago and he told me they were built on site, in Boulder...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    Really? Because I talked to Sean for an hour two weeks ago and he told me they were built on site, in Boulder...
    Maybe he switched back with the 2008 models. I know the last of the 07 SL/DHuez wheels were not built in CO.

Either way, Sean has some great products and is awesome to deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 67fb
    They are still built on site by hand in his facility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I just got my '07 Volants yesterday, I have noticed thet the rear hub makes a loud ticking noise when freewheeling, is that normal for a Volant?...

I have a cheap Shimano rear hub on my other bike and it doesn't make as loud a noise as the volants.

So is the noise normal?
    Last edited by csari0; 03-08-2008 at 06:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by csari0
    I just got my '07 Volants yesterday, I have noticed thet the rear hub makes a loud ticking noise when freewheeling, is that normal for a Volant?...

I have a cheap Shimano rear hub on my other bike and it doesn't make as loud a noise as the volants.

So is the noise normal?
    Yes. It's the design of the pawls inside the freehub body. I opened mine up, thinking I could put some Phil oil in them to quiet them down, but the freehub was pretty wet already.
    Mine have quieted some, but not much. You'll get used to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    So in other words there is nothing that can be done....

I thought it was the bearing, I was planning to see if I could replace them.

I guess there is a drawback to the volants....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Send them back...
    Nothing like b*tching about a good product and a good deal...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    load them up with grease.
    David Leroy Loving, III
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    How about I just send them to you backinthesaddle?

So just because they are a deal I should accept the noise?

I am happy with them except for the noise, I never mentioned that I wanted to send them back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyIII
    load them up with grease.
    Yeah, that's a great idea. Load them up with grease so the pawls stick and don't engage. You'll quickly learn what the ground looks like.

...and for the other poster, are you trying to convince me or yourself? If you like tham and think they are good wheels, the sound of the freehub shouldn't matter...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csari0

So is the noise normal?
    With time the wheelset will break in. I suggest finding the steepest hill in your area and bombing it at 45+ MPH. You'll notice the wheel get really quiet after a few runs doing that. It's just a new wheelset. Rol wheels will be the best investment dollar for dollar. They will last you forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    HELP!!!!

Should i go with a set of Custom Nio27/Tune190/Revolutions rear and Nio 27/Tune70/Revolution front (Ligero) or the ROL D'Huez?

I need to make a decision fast!!!!!!

There is a 100$ diff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    is that a serious question?? get the ligero wheels... tune are some mightly fine hubs, that u could build into carbon hoops later if you fancy.. pick a common spoke count if you can (eg, 20/24).... those are a hub u should never thro away/sell...

edit: just looked up the ROL, same rims, but seems like no name hubs and for whatever reason it comes to around 1500g, the ligero build u describe should come in under 1350g, assuming a comparable 20/24 build, so def go for those... MUCH better on quality/weight grounds, w/ the same rim.. no doubt im my mind.
    Last edited by wankski; 03-24-2008 at 06:38 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    is that a serious question?? get the ligero wheels... tune are some mightly fine hubs, that u could build into carbon hoops later if you fancy.. pick a common spoke count if you can (eg, 20/24).... those are a hub u should never thro away/sell...

edit: just looked up the ROL, same rims, but seems like no name hubs and for whatever reason it comes to around 1500g, the ligero build u describe should come in under 1350g, assuming a comparable 20/24 build, so def go for those... MUCH better on quality/weight grounds, w/ the same rim.. no doubt im my mind.

What he said. Get the Ligeros. I'd do it every day of the week, and twice on Sunday if I still had vaseline left.

The only change I might consider would be to use White Industries hubs instead of the Tunes. They're a bit cheaper but also a bit better sealed. That's not to say, though, that Tunes aren't "spank me mama" nice, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Guys,

sorry for the un-serious Q... But thanks for the answers!

Another maybe unserious one:
    Tune 70/190 Vs. WI H2. i know they weigh a bit more, and are color limited to only polished and black.

Are the WI machined or forged?

thanks!