RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Rolf Prima Elan aero flaws?

One more post (hopefully) LOL

I decided to go with the Rolf Prima Elan Aero, and at the first place I checked online about buying them they told me to be very careful to buy only 2008 or newer ones, as the 2007 wheelset had major design problems and flaws. Is this true or were they trying to flim flam me?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Call Rolf and ask them if there were any design changes between 07 and 08

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    That's a good idea, I will call Rolf tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dusty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Would you mind passing on what you hear from Rolf? I'm close to buying some Elan Aeros (but still kinda waverig between them and the Bonty XXX lites - which are more money).
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I believe that is when they switched from the American Classic made hubs to the White Industries made hubs. The AC hubs had a lot of problems with bearings and engagement issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Rolf Prima Elan Aeros, What I Found Out

Ok, here's how it all shook out. I had been looking for a good price on these wheels online, and found BicycleBuys.com. They are selling the 2008 wheels, black or silver, 700c, Shimano or Campy, for $699 + $25 shipping. (I think there are a few cents at the end, but my total was $725.94 delivered.) I looked all over the web and couldn't find anyplace selling them for nearly that price. All were asking about $950 a set.

During my initial online search, I saw BicycleBuys.com's price, and then saw a place called Precision Tandems, Inc. that offered to match any legitimate price, and give free shipping to boot. We called and they took our information about the wheels, asking for the store that was offering the lower price so they could investigate it for price-matching purposes, and said they would call us back.

They did, and they ran BicyclesBuys down something awful, saying they were selling seconds, bad products had a bad reputation, and the price they were selling them for was for 2007 wheels that had a design flaw and lots of problems, and they refused to match the price, but offered the same wheels to us at $950. Nice, huh?

Well, we called BicycleBuys and the nice guy we spoke with there (Mike) told us they were absolutely selling the 2008 wheels, NOT the 2007s, and was surprised to hear what the tandem bike place had to say. He also told us that the 2007 wheelset had same minor braking issues that were corrected, but the 2008's had no problems, and the 2009 wheels were just a bit heavier than the 2008s. So I bought a pair of the 2008s from him. I received an order confirmation by email immediately, and they let me know the wheels had already been shipped! Now that's service!

I had also called Rolf and they verified what Mike had to say, and let us know that the original flap was over some brake pads not working so well with the 2007s, so the 2008s were modified to have a slightly wider brake path that accommodated virtually all brake pads. The nice rep at Rolf (I think his name was Ethan) also assured us that the seam on the wheel rim was indeed welded, pinned, and machined, so there would be no "thump thump" in cold weather when applying the brakes. He told us they were some of the finest wheels out there, really awesome.

So that's the skinny. Hope it helps a bit. Thanks again for all the responses.

Dusty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyClark
    The nice rep at Rolf (I think his name was Ethan) also assured us that the seam on the wheel rim was indeed welded, pinned, and machined, so there would be no "thump thump" in cold weather when applying the brakes. He told us they were some of the finest wheels out there, really awesome.

Dusty
    He may have assured you but the rim is not welded, it is pinned and machined. The Elan rim is a AC350 rim that is drilled in a paired spoke configuration and is not welded. The Elan wheels are nice wheels but it is his job to tell you they are the best out there.