RoadBikeReview Member

Rolf Sestriere worth a look?

Found a pair of these on Craigslist for $200. Worth taking a look at or should I look else where. Just looking for a decent set of wheels for some short money. I know these are fairly light (1550g) I weight 160 lbs.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I saw used set for sale locally and checked them out and decided on something else. Supposedly they're notorious for broken spokes and the hubs aren't the smoothest, but they are light. If they're true and the hubs are in good shape (i.e. recently overhauled) they might be a bargain, I just wouldn't expect them to hold up as an every day wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Let me guess: they only have 500 miles on them?

They haven't been made in years. I'd bet they are old and worn out. Then again, as a local buy, why not check them out?

mds
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I rode a set of Sestriere's for 8 years. My weight was 180 to 200lbs. Hubs were excellent, smooth rolling, low drag, well sealed - no problems in rain. Rear spokes were too weak, repeated breakage. After a couple months my LBS replaced them with heavier spokes - no spoke problem there after. After six years rear rim started cracking around spoke holes forcing me to replace the rim. Look for signs of rim cracking if the wheels have been used a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=mds]I rode a set of Sestriere's for 8 years. My weight was 180 to 200lbs. Hubs were excellent, smooth rolling, low drag, well sealed - no problems in rain. Rear spokes were too weak, repeated breakage. After a couple months my LBS replaced them with heavier spokes - no spoke problem there after. After six years rear rim started cracking around spoke holes forcing me to replace the rim. Look for signs of rim cracking if the wheels have been used a lot.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the input. 80% of the reviews I've read are positive but these are 8 year old wheels and if they've been ridden much I'll pass.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Sestriere

I own a relatively new, nearly unused pair of sestriere's. I am asking $350.00
    I live in Cape Coral, FL.

Michael
    onbelay@snowcrest.net

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I've been riding these for several years. They wouldn't have been my first choice, but I kept riding them anyway.

After a couple of broken spokes, and another mishap where a water bottle bounced into my wheel, I had them re-tensioned and stress-relieved by a good mechanic. No trouble with spokes for 15-18k miles -- until lately. The sidewalls are probably getting thin too. I will replace them soon.

I'm a little over the recommended limit of 165#, and I've bashed them pretty hard.

The rims are basically Velocity Fusion (like Spartacus wheels) and the hubs are Hugi/DT.

Hugi/DT hubs are well thought of, but IMO not nearly as good as Shimano or Campy. They are better than most cartridge bearing hubs, that come with branded wheels.

If you do buy them, get them re-tensioned and stress relieved by a good wheelbuilder. Or do it yourself. 20/24 spokes on a 470g rim is not radical these days.

Sadly, the market wants ever weaker and less durable wheels, and to pay more and more for them.
    Last edited by mattotoole; 02-16-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Virginia Bicycling Federation (www.vabike.org)
    bikeNewportBeach.org