RoadBikeReview Member

Roval CLX 32 Clinchers

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about picking up a set of clinchers. I've been using tubulars exclusively the past 3 1/2- 4 years on my two bikes (Enve 3.4 and Enve 2.2 tubulars currently. Had the zipp 303s prior to the Enve 2.2).

Now, I am considering a set of carbon clinchers. I can get a "deal" on the CLX 32 carbon clinchers for about $500 less than MSRP (OTD price), $1900. May be not awesome deal, but at least it's less than retail and supposedly, difficult to find at this time.

Anyway, just wondering how the Rovals compare to comparable wheel sets in the price range $1000-$3000 MSRP. I've read online reviews, but would love to hear some personal feedbacks. I believe they use the DT Swiss 240s with ceramic bearings on the new clx 32s. From what I've gather, the DTSwiss hubs are pretty good/reliable. Nothing fancy, but they work. The set seems competitively light at ~ 1300 grams.

Would love to hear what you guys think of the Roval wheels. Thought about ENve clinchers and even Mavic Kysrium SLR (aluminum clinchers), but leaning towards the CLX32s.

Thanks!
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone? Experience with Roval CLx32 clinchers?
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had similar questions about the clx50s. The price and weight compared to other wheels of similar type (zipps, enve) seems so much better but I have no idea how braking is for them or how stiff they are. I'm currently running a set of HED jet 5s, so on weight I would be dropping about 300grams. Specialized claims they (clx50s) are more aero than the zipp 454s and not much worse than the clx64 or zipp 808s. Not sure how much of that is them fudging numbers though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I had similar questions about the clx50s. The price and weight compared to other wheels of similar type (zipps, enve) seems so much better but I have no idea how braking is for them or how stiff they are. I'm currently running a set of HED jet 5s, so on weight I would be dropping about 300grams. Specialized claims they (clx50s) are more aero than the zipp 454s and not much worse than the clx64 or zipp 808s. Not sure how much of that is them fudging numbers though.
    So did you end up getting the clx50s?

The clx32s are actually pretty light for clinchers. I didn't weigh them independently but did weigh my bike with them mounted. Very similar to my enve 3.4 tubies with CK45s. Of course, heavier than my 2.2 tubies with Tune hubs. I like them though because they feel stiffer than my 2.2s...which do have a bit of flex during out of the saddle efforts on steeper gradients. Can't honestly say the aero effect is better or worse than the 3.4s. Toss up.

As for tubies vs clinchers, that's for another thread. But having riding solely tubies for the past 3.5 years, I can't say there's any significant difference in feel?!?! The newer generation clincher designs may have something to do with that?

They look great too with the understated graphics (which I prefer over the 'loud' graphics). Currently have them wrapped with cotton turbos. Look great IMO.

All in all, for the price I got them for, very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just finished putting together the new bike so not in a huge hurry to spend another 2k just now, but the wheels would be next on the list of upgrades. I've been riding the HEDs which came off my old frame for 3 years and my biggest concern is probably going from aluminum braking to carbon. Obvious benefits would be dropping about 300 grams and the stealth look of the rovals.

claimed weight on the 50s is 1375 vs 1280 for the 32s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I've got a set of CLX40s and while I don't ride that bike in the rain, the dry braking is just fine. FWIW I weigh 215 lbs so it's not like I don't notice when braking is poor. Compared to my HED C2 rims, the initial bite is a little softer, but once you get into 'deep braking' territory they feel very similar and have always been predictable. Plenty of 2k-4k descents at grades up to 15%.
    I'd imagine the braking would be the same on the 32s since the tracks appear to be unchanged for the new model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I ran CLX40's on a Tarmac and CLX60's on a Shiv for couple three years. The Shiv were sold when I stopped swimming and the 40's are on my wife's Ruby atm. Currently have a Venge with CLX64's and a Roubaix with CLX32's. All 4 wheel sets have been flawless. Rim brake versions (all but 32's) performed without any hick-ups although I don't ride in the rain much. I obviously get pretty good support from my local Spec dealer, but I wouldn't hesitate buying a set of Rovals, even at retail.