Thread: Roval SL 25's

RoadBikeReview Member

Roval SL 25's

Hello all, long time viewer first time poster and wondering if anyone can give their opinions on Roval SL 25's. Looking to pick up a pair taken off a brand new bike and getting a fairly decent deal @ $250. Question is I've been reading a lot of spoke issues regarding this wheelset and wondering if anyone has experience with them, also if these won't be covered under Rovals warranty could the spokes be easily replaced by my local dealer?

Few details:
    140 lbs
    Mostly smooth roads with a few bumps here and there
    Ride about 200miles week, most of which are on rail trails

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Roval SL 25's

Sounds like a good deal.

I want to sell mine but thought they should fetch more than that.

If you weigh that little and ride smooth roads you will probably be ok.

I have had two pairs. At 170 pounds broken 5 spokes between them.

What are you replacing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Replacing stock Mav CXP 22's on a Tarmac Elite. 5 spokes seems like a lot! Did you have to send them in each time or did a local dealer replace them for you? Thanks for the input!

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Roval SL 25's

$250 is a great deal. my LBS, which is a specialized dealer.... told me to avoid Roval wheels....

my '10 Secteur elite came with CXP-22 laced to whatever crap specialized used for hubs....
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Roval SL 25's

I am on a Tarmac SL3 Pro. Local dealer replaced but after the best people at that dealer left so did I. That said they got the 2011 set warrantied. Replaced with a 2012 set. Broke again and I got a custom set built by the guy who used ro work at that shop.

Need to check prices but might be willing to swap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    $250 is a great deal. my LBS, which is a specialized dealer.... told me to avoid Roval wheels....

my '10 Secteur elite came with CXP-22 laced to whatever crap specialized used for hubs....
    I work at a Specialized dealer. Roval is hit and miss. Some of their wheels are great (control sl 29er wheels, pave sl) and some are awful (the old el-28, the new clx23) - the sl25 is a solid wheelset. Being that it's light it's not going to be your forever beat it into the ground wheelset, but at new for $250 with those hub internals you can't really lose. Wholesale on that wheel was twice that. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat if I were you.

The new wheels at that level don't have the star ratchet drive internals like the s-25's.

RoadBikeReview Member

Roval SL 25's

Quote Originally Posted by Bender34 View Post
    Hello all, long time viewer first time poster and wondering if anyone can give their opinions on Roval SL 25's. Looking to pick up a pair taken off a brand new bike and getting a fairly decent deal @ $250. Question is I've been reading a lot of spoke issues regarding this wheelset and wondering if anyone has experience with them, also if these won't be covered under Rovals warranty could the spokes be easily replaced by my local dealer?

Few details:
    140 lbs
    Mostly smooth roads with a few bumps here and there
    Ride about 200miles week, most of which are on rail trails

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
    I have the 2011 version that came with my Pro SL3. Not suitable to my weight but should be fine for your 140 lbs.. After a few rides I gave mine to my son who is about 160 lbs, strong rider, sprinting off the saddle, etc. The wheels have stayed together.
    At $250 its a good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you all for the information much appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    sorry, double posted

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    I work at a Specialized dealer. Roval is hit and miss. Some of their wheels are great (control sl 29er wheels, pave sl) and some are awful (the old el-28, the new clx23) - the sl25 is a solid wheelset.
    Geez. I just bought a set off slx23 takeoffs after reading many positive reviews and speaking with local Specialized dealers. Only have about 200 kms on them but so far they are performing great and flawlessly. What problems have you heard or are seeing with this wheelset?
    Last edited by SprinterX; 06-17-2013 at 07:37 AM.