RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Question RS80 - convert to tubeless.

Hi all,
    It's time for some new tires. I currently have a set of Schwalbe Durano 25mm which have been great but I thought I would go tubeless this time with some 25mm Schwalbe Ones.
    I have a set of Shimano RS80 c24 wheels which I will need to convert to tubeless using Stans no tubes tape and valves.
    Has anyone converted RS80 or dura ace C24 to tubeless?
    Did it work? and what size rim tape should I use?

Thanks

changingleaf
    These rims, like any other can be converted for tubeless use with two layers of Stan's tape and tubeless valve and sealant. There's plenty of other tapes out there that will work as well. You can search the internet for tubeless tape. BUT, you will likely have a better experience in the long run if you use rims designed for tubeless use. The wheels you have are not. Tubeless rims have a "bead seat" like an automobile rim, so that once the tire is inflated it stays locked in the rim after the air is let out (it's not locked with a lot of force, but it does stay seated). This makes it much easier to setup and add sealant through the valve. When you let the air out of a standard tube-type rim the bead of the tire will fall back to the center of the rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Pete,

Thanks for being the only reply.

I fully understand that this is not the best way to go tubeless, but I have an awesome, light, set of wheels, which are worth almost nothing to sell as they are only 10 speed. I certainly would have to spend a lot more to upgrade to the RS81s

I don't road race so I mainly use my Specialized roubaix for commuting/training for MTB. I'm even happy with keeping it 10 speed.

I just wanted to see if there was anybody who has actually done what I propose to do. and whether there was issues with burping or seating the tyre initially.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Reviving this one. I, too, am considering converting my RS80 wheelset to tubeless, using the Stans tape and sealant with the Schwalbe Pro One tires. Uppo, did you end up converting your wheels last year? If so, what was your experience?

I can't find any examples online of others doing this, though I'm sure it's been done given the relative popularity of this wheelset. I contacted Shimano about it, and of course they couldn't guarantee it would be safe, and recommended I buy new, tubeless specific wheels. Like you, I have no plans to do that. So, figured I'd follow up and see if there was a better way!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uppo View Post

I just wanted to see if there was anybody who has actually done what I propose to do. and whether there was issues with burping or seating the tyre initially.