Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003

Rubino Pro TUBULAR

Has anyone tried these yet?

As a low cost tubbie (I see them for like $40) I am hoping for it to be a better tire than the horrid Rally. It comes only in 23cm, but if they are round and not lumpy, they might be a good choice for an everyday tubular.

I was hoping that I would not have to become a guinea pig, that someone else had given them a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I got three Rubino Pro Tubular. Sorry I just put on some Rally on my wheelset. Can I ask you what is so bad with Rally? I ride them and they are fine on my steel bike. I don't think they are the roundest tire in the world but they work for a 15 dollar tire. The 23C is pretty good in Rally. Rubino Pro is probably going to give you more puncture protection and cost a little bit more. I got my tires from UK and do you have place in U.S. you for the tire?

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    The problem I have had with the Rally is that only 1 out of 3 are any good. If you get lucky and get a good one, they are a good buy. But to have to buy 6 tires to get 2 good ones, just is not a bargain.

Cost is not a huge issue for me. If the Rubino is a consistant tire with a good "feel" (not harsh) that would be a plus for me. I go through rear tires at about every 500 - 750 miles, the curse of a heavy rider in steep hills. High end tires are sooooo nice, that I usually swallow hard and pay the price. Low end tires are for some reason usually narrow (22cm or less) and at my weight, 195lbs, I prefer 23cm or more.

So how does the Rubino Tubular ride? Is it Tufo harsh? Does it have any of the Vittoria Evo's comfort? How is it compared to the Rally?

I'm kinda anal when it comes to wheels and tires. I like perfectly true wheels and tires that are round with no lumps. A tire like the Rally that "Thumps" with every revolution drives me NUTZ and get's removed instantly. I've been riding tubulars for almost 30 years, the glueing and "trouble" are insignificant to me. Just a part of riding that I have grown acustomed to. I can spot a bad tire before I glue it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Well I think it is going to ride a big harsh than the Rally without riding the tire as my opinion. I believe Rubino is a good dry weather tire and for 30 dollars a pop it is not so bad. I start on tubular few years back and i do enjoy them even with the pain of a flat. The Rubino pro will give you more reliability because my friends rides the clincher version of them. Speaking of lumping tubulars, even my GP4000s lump a little bit. So the most round tires would be a clincher because of the gluing process also a factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Rubino Pro

Well, I guess I have to eat my word. The Rally is very lumpy and I did not like the way they feel going fast down hill. They were safe to ride but not for me anymore. I pulled them off and stretching my Rubino right now. The Rubino seems a little smaller than the Rallys in the same 23mm and so far it is rolling very true on the trim during stretching. The tire seems already stretched because it went on the rim really easy. Will give you all an update soon.
    Last edited by shaochieh; 07-26-2009 at 02:58 AM.