RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Safety of Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 in event of puncture????

How safe are these tyres in the event of a puncture? My concern is that they are very easy to get on and off my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. No levers are needed at all. Though this is good for installing tyres etc, I almost had a heart attack when I had a puncture on the front tyre. It felt like the tyre was going to come off the rim and given how easy they go on and off this could be quite likely. Any puncture is dangerous, especially at speed, but the tyre coming off a rim is more dangerous surely? Other tyres I've used are much harder to get on and off. Is it the tyres, the rims or is it just me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on the puncture. A blow-out or slow leak? It's about the same with all the clincher tires...not good. The tightness of them won't make a difference. They are gonna roll off if they blow when you are cornering hard at speed.

Personally, I don't know why everyone uses a 180 gram racing tire for training. They flat all the time and only last half as long as a good training tire like a Conty gatorskin or Michelin Krylion. Weight penalty is only about 20-30 grams. My punctures went away when I made the switch and so did the hassle and tube costs.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Tires that are harder to get on just stretch more once they are on so unless we are talking about real extremes they all fit the same eventually anyway. One of those tires that was really hard to get on woudn't be so hard if you took it off a few days later and did it again.

If flat consideration is a priority you should get something else though. Those are actually fairly decent FOR A RACE TIRE but they are not designed with flat protection being a priority.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    Tires that are harder to get on just stretch more once they are on so unless we are talking about real extremes they all fit the same eventually anyway. One of those tires that was really hard to get on woudn't be so hard if you took it off a few days later and did it again.

If flat consideration is a priority you should get something else though. Those are actually fairly decent FOR A RACE TIRE but they are not designed with flat protection being a priority.
    huh? A tight fitting tire like a continental will NEVER stretch to the looseness of a R.1 (nor do they stretch more). The R.1 are way too loose fitting in my opinion. I had one blow off a carbon rim on a descent and have stopped using them even on alloy wheels. Schwalbe have had nothing but problems with this series of tires in my opinion. Maybe it's different manufacturing runs (like their previous recalls).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I had some Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CXs that I literally struggled with for about 1 hour each to get on the first time. I had no tire levers. Anyway, they were super easy to put on the second time.

Tires definitely stretch.

With that said I have found Ultremos to fit pretty loosely but have never had an issue with one blowing off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gospastic
    Tires definitely stretch.
    Of course they do. They're made of rubber.

Not too long ago I mounted a set of Michelin Pro 3s, and they were VERY hard to get around the rims. Later I transferred them to a new set of wheels, and they went on no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownstone322
    Of course they do. They're made of rubber.

Not too long ago I mounted a set of Michelin Pro 3s, and they were VERY hard to get around the rims. Later I transferred them to a new set of wheels, and they went on no problem.

That's Cool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    That's all well and good guys about tyres getting looser as they've been fitted to a wheel but these Utremo's are very loose to start. Just imagine how loose these would be after being on and off a rim a couple of times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miurasv
    That's all well and good guys about tyres getting looser as they've been fitted to a wheel but these Utremo's are very loose to start. Just imagine how loose these would be after being on and off a rim a couple of times.
    like I said in my post, I think they are sketchy. You could contact Schwalbe customer service and tell them you're nervous about riding them and see if the newer version of the tire fits tighther and whether they'd swap or offer a refund.