RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014

Schwalbe G-One Speed 700x30mm

I posted this over in the BMC Forum in the "RoadMachine" thread, but I thought the wheel and tire crowd might appreciate seeing these as well.

I have been shopping for a wheel and tire combo for gravel/dirt road/mixed tarmac use on my BMC RoadMachine RM-01.

I wanted the widest tire I could fit between the rear chainstays. Also wanted tubeless, at least as an option, and preferably durable enough to withstand gravel without cutting sidewalls.

I picked up a set of Schwalbe G-One Speed 700x30mm Tubeless tires and mounted them on a shiny new set of HED Belgium Plus rims (thanks November Dave!).

Here is what I ended up with.

They seem to be a good fit - they are comfortably within the chain stays, and there is plenty of room at the fork crown and seat tube as well. I don't expect them to be long wearing, but hopefully durable enough to ride gravel without sidewall cuts.

They mounted up fairly easily - the first one didn't want to seat with my generic floor pump, and after fiddling with a couple of CO2 cartridges, I finally got it to snap into place. The second one was a little friendlier (experience I guess). With a little agressive pumping I managed to get it to seat with the floor pump. In these pictures, both are seated and inflated to a little over max pressure (80lbs). I'm going to let them sit over night before I pull the valve cores and put some sealant in them.

It will probably be a couple of months before the snow melts and I can get these out to the mountains for a proper gravel ride - once I do, I'll report back how they fare.

The final product
    Last edited by Migen21; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:37 PM.

grizzly moderator
    Good info! Thanks for sharing.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.