Road & Trail Warrior

Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 Durability?

I want to purchase a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R.1, but I'm weary of their durability.
    Will they last at least 2000kms? (that's my season average)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Probably not unless you rotate them or don't put out much power.
    Great tires but not for someone looking for durability. They are fairly durable by race tire standards but they are race tires.

RoadBikeReview Member

Got 2,300km already

I would anticipate getting 4,000km easily on the rear which generally for me wears faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jlandry
    I want to purchase a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R.1, but I'm weary of their durability.
    Will they last at least 2000kms? (that's my season average)
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Power and pressure?

I want to purchase a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R.1, but I'm weary of their durability. Will they last at least 2000kms? (that's my season average)
    Tires wear out due to power dissipation. The power you put into the tire scrubs the rubber off where they contact the road. If you put out a lot of power, you will wear out tires quickly. Higher pressure results in a smaller contact patch and so more power per unit area and faster tire wear.

Your mileage (kilometerage?) will depend on these factors and so your question can't be answered with any degree of accuracy. As they say, YMMV

LA CHEVRE
    My pair still looks like it has good life left at the end of the season, but I use a few bikes and I switched to a more training type pair of tires for a 2 weeks training camp in Europe... So I haven't done all my season on them. But as Hank said, they are not wearing too fast for race tires IMO. I have a pair of the new Ultremo ZX on the way, it's supposedly more durable, more puncture resistant, faster rolling but with a small weight penalty...

If milage is a real issue for you, you should look at tires that are designed to be more durable though.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    My R.1's are great, but the sidewall flex causes rear derailure to hit the spokes whenever I accellerate hard or put the power down during a climb or sprint. Went back to Conti GP4000S and no flexing during hard efforts. I weigh 235lbs so that may have something to do with it also.. :-)

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjacks
    My R.1's are great, but the sidewall flex causes rear derailure to hit the spokes whenever I accellerate hard or put the power down during a climb or sprint. Went back to Conti GP4000S and no flexing during hard efforts. I weigh 235lbs so that may have something to do with it also.. :-)
    I don't get it. How can a tire flexing cause your deraileur to hit the spokes? I would think that's wheel or frame flex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I don't get it. How can a tire flexing cause your deraileur to hit the spokes? I would think that's wheel or frame flex.
    yeah, If anything tire flex would prevent that not cause it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    yeah, If anything tire flex would prevent that not cause it.
    Hmm... interesting responses... care to provide an explaination? With the R.1's I seem to get more flex than with Conti GP 4000s'.. The R.1's are a great tire, noticible difference when using them.

LA CHEVRE
    I don't get it either... If the tire flex, the spokes don't move relative to the derailleur, wheel flex yes, frame flex yes but tires?

If there is X energy that causes the flex but some of it is spent flexing the tires, that less energy to flex the wheel and frame but... I'm not sure any flex is a good thing.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-25-2010 at 07:04 AM.

DAN GEROUS

Dr. Flats a lot
    They are race tires. A waste to use them training. To make them super light and grippy means that it wears fast. Regardless of who makes them, making them light means they will wear fast. Don't buy them if you're not using them for racing. Excellent all weather tire, very fast, grippy, crazy light. I have not found them to be that great at flat protection, and much prefer the DD. Almost the same weight, but the advantage of snakeskin protection.

Schwalbe makes the absolute best training tire, the Durano Plus. It is on the slow and heavy side, but it will not flat. I mean it really, really won't flat. Can lay thousands and thousands of miles on it.

Personally I race with the Ultremo DD with Doc Blue sealant on my clinchers if I really want a pair of tough tires for bad roads, and Ultremo HT for tubular wheels and largely for crits.

The "my tire makes my derailleur hit the spokes" is really one of the most ridiculas things I've ever heard.
    Last edited by zoikz; 10-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Zoikz what tire pressure are your DDs. Just installed a brand new tire on the front and it keeps blowing out the tube at 100psi (twice). Tire states 85 to 145 psi. Any suggestions ?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with itů Pee on it and walk away

Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

Dr. Flats a lot
    That really shouldn't be happening regardless of the tire pressure. They had some trouble with the Ultremo's a year or two back with the casing bubbling, but never heard an issue with the DD's, plus the casings are totally different. I run the 25c at 90-100lbs depending. I'd do the basics, check the rim, check the tire and maybe contact schwalbe. Is it happening in the same place on the tube? that should give you a hint at where the problem is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not sure what he is talking about either. I weight 260 and I put 130 psi in the tire and I don't notice any flex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya its pretty weird. Brand new tires decided to install the front one last night. Actually used my existing tube. Aired up to about 100psi and the tube blew! Ok I chalked it up to maybe the tube was worn some how so I installed a brand new tube and it held for about a minute. It blew before I could actually install the wheel back on the bike. Had not even put any weight on it yet. I'm running the Reynold assault wheel which are about a month old. No issues with the wheelset that I can see.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with itů Pee on it and walk away

LA CHEVRE
    Might sound stupid (and certainly not saying you are either, just trying to find what's wrong) but, make sure the tube isn't pinched between the rim and the tire bead...

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyt
    Ya its pretty weird. Brand new tires decided to install the front one last night. Actually used my existing tube. Aired up to about 100psi and the tube blew! Ok I chalked it up to maybe the tube was worn some how so I installed a brand new tube and it held for about a minute. It blew before I could actually install the wheel back on the bike. Had not even put any weight on it yet. I'm running the Reynold assault wheel which are about a month old. No issues with the wheelset that I can see.
    Before you do anything else, check to make sure the tubes are blowing in the same spot. Then track down that spot on the wheel. If it is the same spot, then it is either the tire or the rim causing the issue. If the spot moves, you are probably pinching the tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Might sound stupid (and certainly not saying you are either, just trying to find what's wrong) but, make sure the tube isn't pinched between the rim and the tire bead...

Nothing sounds stupid anymore. The tire/tube felt pretty good on the rim. Anythings possible. I'm going to try one more time. If it happens again I'm going to install the old tire back on and send these back. Kinda nerve racking to have two blow like that. Hate to have it happen on a downhill.

Dr. Flats a lot
    By chance we have the exact same set-up, attack wheels and schwalbe tires.
    I actually had a problem with the rims and they blew out some tubes. It turns out there was some flashing on the inside of the rim that cut through the tire. I doubt that is your problem but check the rim for rough edges.
    Generally when a tire blows like that it means the tire worked it's way under the bead. The most common way that would happen is that the tube wasn't seating right. But if there is a defect on the tire or rim that could do it as well.
    For a test swap the tires and put it on the rear, if it happens on the back should be the tire, if it happpens on the front should be the wheel.
    I agree I'd be careful with it. Likewise since potentially it could be the rim, you may want to be cautious about them too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Zoikz. Yea by chance I guess I just was unlucky and didnt seat the tube or tubes right. Actually third times the charm. Everything seems to be holding now. Havent rode it yet but we will see. Thanks

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by bob123
    Lock them up for even a second or two and they're toast,
    Learn to brake...

DAN GEROUS

Road & Trail Warrior
    1500 mi. = 2414.016 km
    That's enough miles for me in one season since I divide my time with MTBing.

Col,Naaa,GOOOOO

great tires

3533 kms so far and still looking good......I'm not exactly kind to my tires rode them in furnace heat for 2 months in the Var's backroads, snow and salt for 2 months and some freezing dry conditions with salt cristals all over the roads.

I love putting power to the wheels especially on climbs so i guess i'm not giving these tires a easy time.

however i do take care of them after a ride (quick wipe off of road grit and check any embedded stuff- must point out that they are very tough tires as i've often dislodged small flints glass etc)

wheels are Record '99 hubs laced to open pros on 32 sapim double butted round spokes.

I run 8 bars (116 psi) front and back and weight 71 kg (156)

PS: i don't rotate my bike tires but i usually wear 1 front for 2 back tires.

Only issue found: the front tire has small cracks all around rolling band in between it and the sidewall ( i've taken it off and it doesn't seem to be deep so considering it a none issue for now)
    Colnago C50 WX07 54......
    if you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    First set (rear) got only about 800 km before the tread was showing. It was cut to hell all over too! Put on a new set, and the very first ride I get a huge gash on the side wall of the rear tire. Its all cut to hell too after only 200km of riding. All this just from regular low speed training rides alone.

Conclusion: Ultremo R.1 suck as a training tire for everyday use. As a race tire , and on smooth roads, the R.1 is very very nice.

/Mack/

Col,Naaa,GOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackadamian
    First set (rear) got only about 800 km before the tread was showing. It was cut to hell all over too! Put on a new set, and the very first ride I get a huge gash on the side wall of the rear tire. Its all cut to hell too after only 200km of riding. All this just from regular low speed training rides alone.

Conclusion: Ultremo R.1 suck as a training tire for everyday use. As a race tire , and on smooth roads, the R.1 is very very nice.

/Mack/
    I believe they have a better durability than that but still may fail catastrophically if ridden too far in their lifespan........see my picts here (8months ~5000k's on them) on basically dry roads except for a small bunch of wet road, salty road rides........

Ultremo R.1.......out
    Colnago C50 WX07 54......
    if you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.