RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

shimano 550's are week

im 180 6'2.

got 550's on my backup cadd8. they have left me stranded twice. the spokes keep snapping. one on the rim the other on the center hub on separate occasions. When I rode it today the rear rim was defiantly flexing. Heard it on the pads when was out of the saddle climbing. Anyone else have issues with them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, same problem with spoke snapping at the hub. I'm 160#, wheels had 2500 miles on them and snapped when I stood and began to pedal hard. Bought some customs after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    They're junk - very disappointing wheelset. They make pinging noises under pressure, and have super amounts of flex. You would think a wheelset that weighs so much would be at least strong. Instead it is one of the heaviest and least durable wheelsets out there. Nice combination.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely make pinging sounds under pressure. I am 6'0" and 210 lbs and never had any durability issues, at least in 3,000 miles. I replaced with Velocity Aerohead O/C and White Industries hubs. Ride is so much smoother and more comfortable it is hard to believe how hard 550's ride.