Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Shimano Cassette Install on Zipp 404 FireCrest

15K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  vladt 
#1 ·
Hi All,

About to install dura-ace 11-25 cassette on a new set of Zipp Firecrest 404 (beyond black) wheels.
Usually I would use a thin spacer between the hub and the cassette. However I believe that the hub that comes with new 404's is specifically 10-speed thus not requiring the spacer.

I've identified the hub as 188.
Technologies | 88/188 Hubs | Zipp - Speed Weaponry

Can anyone please confirm if the spacer is required? ( The shimano instructions stipulates the use of spacer on a 9-speed freehub body). However I think that new zipps come with 10-speed hub body.

Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks forge55b.
I've tried installing the cassette with and without the 1mm spacer. In both cases the cassette tightens perfectly well. (no play). Obviously with the 1mm spacer the rear derauller alignment would be different but I am still unsure.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, but I am now even more confused.
MMinSC is certain that the spacer is required, while hamsey, having spoken to zipp support was told that no spacer is required.
Now, here how I understand this setup.....

Both zipp 101 and 404 use the same 188 free hub body.
From my (limited) understanding, this hub is designed for SRAM/Shimano 8/9/10 speed.
Both 8 & 9 speed cassettes are wider while 10 speed is narrower. If the spacer was indeed built-in to the hub, than neither 8 or 9 speed cassettes would fit, thus requiring different free hubs to suit.

So according to my logic, the spacer would be required, if indeed, this (188) free hub is designed to accept 8 & 9 speed cassettes. If it's specifically designed for 10 speed only, than hamsey would be correct.

Is my logic accurate here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.