RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 Front Dust Cap is Rubbing (EASY FIX)

I just bought a WH-6800 wheelset, and the dust cap was rubbing on both the outside and inside of the hub shell because it wasn't properly set at the factory. I have done a few searches, and this seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Luckily, there is an easy fix:

1. Pop out the front axle assembly. Be careful not to disturb the bearings when you pull out the axle. If there is enough grease, they'll stay in place.

2. Turn the axle assembly so that the left side is facing up and the side with the cone and dust cap is resting flush on your work bench (vertically).

3. Take a large adjustable/Cresent wrench and adjust it so that it fits over the dust cap and comes close to touching the cone (but not quite). The Crescent wrench will now be perpendicular to your axle assembly.

4. Gently, but firmly, tap the top of the adjustable wrench with a hammer. You will see the dust cap "settle in." It doesn't have to move very far--maybe only a millimeter or less.

5. Reassemble hub and set the bearing preload as you wish.

For me, this totally removed any extra friction from the dust cap, and there is now a ~1mm gap between the dust cap and the hub shell, whereas before it was flush with the exterior of the hubshell and rubbing.

The best thing about this fix is that it doesn't require you to file anything or add spacers (others have tried these two methods, among others, to address the problem, with varying, mostly mediocre, results). Trust me, this fix will work!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    You should make a video of it!

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    So you basically defeated the advantage of a dust cap by creating a 1mm gap. I hope you ride in a sterile environment.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    In another thread a little further down, he says that his procedure set the dust cap where it was originally intended to rest by design. I'll hold off judgement until I can look at the real thing next week.