Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Noob

sidewall failure on gatorskin tire

Yesterday I had a very unfortunate rear tire blow out during my ride. It looks like the side wall of the gator-skins failed and I have a few mm vertical gash going from side wall up to were the tread starts. I am semi disappointed since the tires were less than a year and a half old and probably only had 1000 miles on them. These tires have been issue free since day one, so I am definitely sticking with the conti gatorskins. I may get 25 mm width this time though as I am a heavier rider.

My only real question is whether this type of damage can be fixed (good enough to finish the ride if it happens again)? Id like to ride tomorrow before heading to the LBS for a new tire...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidewall failure on gatorskin tire-photo-1-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    It doesn't look repairable to me, but you can temporarily boot it until you get a new tire. I would ride with caution.

Even though Gatorskins have the DuraSkin netting, they can still get sliced on the sidewalls by objects on the road. The sidewalls are definitely the weakest part of those tires.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    That sucks! I only have 400 miles or so on my gatorskins and they are holding up just fine. I think they are well worth the money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce619 View Post
    That sucks! I only have 400 miles or so on my gatorskins and they are holding up just fine. I think they are well worth the money.
    I use them too. I have about 1600 miles on my current set, and the rear tire is just starting to show a little wear. The are good tires in terms of durability and puncture protection.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Although yours is one of the better photos I've seen, it's hard to tell without benefit of 3-D vision in real life.

All I can say is boot it and try. In my experience, if it works for a few miles, it'll also work for a few hundred or more.

Right now I'm running booted rear tires on two of my bikes. On was a drywall screw the went in the tread and out the sidewall (at 135 miles on the tire), and the other was from something in a road construction site that gashed the sidewall (at 152 miles on the tires). I'm nearing 3,000 miles on that second one, on my primary commuter and grocery-getter. So it frequently carries extra weight in the panniers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I wouldn't call that a sidewall failure. If somone stabbed me in the stomach, I wouldn't consider it a skin failure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist View Post
    I use them too. I have about 1600 miles on my current set, and the rear tire is just starting to show a little wear. The are good tires in terms of durability and puncture protection.
    I am still fairly new to cycling. I purchased my used bicycle and tires at about the same time. (400 miles ago)

This may sound dumb.... but I am going to ask anyways.

Does anybody rotate the tires on a bicycle? or do you just ride until its time for new ones?

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Although yours is one of the better photos I've seen, it's hard to tell without benefit of 3-D vision in real life.

All I can say is boot it and try. In my experience, if it works for a few miles, it'll also work for a few hundred or more.

Right now I'm running booted rear tires on two of my bikes. On was a drywall screw the went in the tread and out the sidewall (at 135 miles on the tire), and the other was from something in a road construction site that gashed the sidewall (at 152 miles on the tires). I'm nearing 3,000 miles on that second one, on my primary commuter and grocery-getter. So it frequently carries extra weight in the panniers.
    Well that's certainly promising! What do you use to boot the tire?

RoadBikeReview Member
    bit unrelated, but I had that happen to my Vittoria Diamante just earlier this week too. Really frustrating because it does seem like booting it would work, but I'd never take such risk a since I'm on a hill regularly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    bit unrelated, but I had that happen to my Vittoria Diamante just earlier this week too. Really frustrating because it does seem like booting it would work, but I'd never take such risk a since I'm on a hill regularly.
    I agree!

For the cost of a new tire and the confidence that you have something reliable.... IMO it is worth it! Plus you already got a good amount of miles on them already.

Noob
    Does anybody rotate the tires on a bicycle? or do you just ride until its time for new ones?
    The rear tire will wear faster since it carries more weight. You can get more life out if both tires if you rotate them. Or just replace the rear when it's bad and keep the front tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayej68 View Post
    The rear tire will wear faster since it carries more weight. You can get more life out if both tires if you rotate them. Or just replace the rear when it's bad and keep the front tire.
    Will do! Probably much easier to just replace rear when needed. I come from the motorcycle world, and the concept is the same to just replace rear

Thank you for the information.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    True, I guess It'll always be in the back of my mind if I boot it, kind of like riding a tube with a patch. But maybe I can get through tomorrows club ride, no hills to worry about here in FL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at how mine failed, you just might want to scrap it immediately

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Its not worth gettin hurt over,if you go to the hospital think how much itll cost you compared to what hindset would tell you.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Dang, looks like you ran over a razor blade... How'd that happen?

RoadBikeReview Member

I probably wouldnt ride in that area anymore.....lolz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    I probably wouldnt ride in that area anymore.....lolz
    The weird thing is - I had just left my house on a nice road that I've been down thousands of times. It just assploded.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Burnum Upus Quadricepus

Bah! You can boot that, no problem

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by rayej68 View Post
    Well that's certainly promising! What do you use to boot the tire?
    The traditional boot is a dollar bill. Some folks use a chunk of old tire, tube, or tire liner. I used a patch from my patch kit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Will do! Probably much easier to just replace rear when needed. I come from the motorcycle world, and the concept is the same to just replace rear

Thank you for the information.
    The best way to do this is to remove the used front tire and install on the rear wheel. Then put the new tire on the front wheel. That way the best tire is always on the front Flatting the front is much more dangerous than flatting the rear.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    How weird is this thread.
    This just happend to me with my rear 4000s.
    I just put a new set on middle of August. Probably have 300 miles and mine looks the exact same as the OP. Exactly.
    I was thinking about "booting" but I don't know.
    All I do know is that I'm pissed to have to throw away a $70 tire that I got two months riding on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    Its not worth gettin hurt over,if you go to the hospital think how much itll cost you compared to what hindset would tell you.
    I agree, don't risk it. Hate to think about group riding with people trying to eek every penny out of damaged equipment.

This cut happened this week, booted it and rode it another 20 miles to get home but it went in the trash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidewall failure on gatorskin tire-tire.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    dont worry about tires ,your health comes first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I ride gatorskins pretty much exclusively and it seems like every time I get a new pair I get a sidewall puncture from a really nasty thorn, nail or staple in the road. Ive been riding my front tire with a boot for probably 1000 miles so far and no real issues. My puncture is much smaller than yours though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast