Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    You seem to have mastered the ability to continually pee in everyone's Wheaties. Physics, not to mention biology, would suggest that's impossible too... but here you are anyway. So nothing's impossible.
    Sorry that your coffee tastes bad. Also sorry that you don't like it when reality gets in the way of your beliefs about engineering. But when you make statements like that, engineers are going to respond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    ... once they figure out how to alter physics or find an alternative universe.

This.

There is a very good reason Mr. Dunlop invented the pneumatic tire. Because the only thing that feels like you're riding on air is........ drumroll please! ...........AIR! And unless you want to fill your tires with helium, you won't find anything lighter. Well, OK, you could fill them with hydrogen gas, but don't light a match!

Say, now there's a thought. I wonder if anybody has ever pumped their tires with He to make it lighter.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Say, now there's a thought. I wonder if anybody has ever pumped their tires with He to make it lighter.
    Actually I think it's been done. Kinda remember it being a MTB weight weenie thing.

But why not go all out and use hydrogen. It's even lighter!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

But why not go all out and use hydrogen. It's even lighter!

This is why not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIexQD7QYvo
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Sorry that your coffee tastes bad. Also sorry that you don't like it when reality gets in the way of your beliefs about engineering. But when you make statements like that, engineers are going to respond.
    You mean these engineers???

31 Engineering Mistakes That Make You Wonder Who Gave Them Engineering Degrees

Granted, some of those are more a question of design than engineering. But, my coffee tastes fine.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 09-12-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Meh... most (if not all) of those are bad photoshopping.

But sure... engineers make mistakes. However, engineers don't create or control physics. Which is why there isn't a solution to your desired magic rubber.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Russian Troll Farmer

Granted, some of those are more a question of design than engineering. But, my coffee tastes fine.
    Actually, of the ones I saw (after about the first 15, I didn't see any reason to continue with this pointless piece of clickbait), all were examples of bad CONTRACTOR mistakes, or else just covering up of no longer useful entrances and staircases in odd ways. Also, it looks the majority of them were Russian contractors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Actually, of the ones I saw (after about the first 15, I didn't see any reason to continue with this pointless piece of clickbait), all were examples of bad CONTRACTOR mistakes, or else just covering up of no longer useful entrances and staircases in odd ways. Also, it looks the majority of them were Russian contractors.
    Reminds me of the joke about the three engineers arguing about what kind of an engineer god is. One says he's obviously an electrical engineer, citing the complexity of the brain and nervous system in the human body. The second says no, god must be a mechanical engineer - look at the strength and delicacy of the human musculo-skeletal system.

Third guy says, "God is obviously a civil engineer. Who else would site the hazardous-waste handling facilities right in the middle of the prime recreation area?"
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

a real member's member
    I'm gonna guess it wasn't dark, raining, and 38 degrees...
    if i'm out riding on a cold night in the rain, why couldn't i also fix a flat?

]If so, PM me your number and I'll call you to change my next flat.
    if fixing a flat is such a problem, just carry a spare tube so you can save the 6 minutes required to patch the puncture.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member

This is obviously fake. And if these are really engineering eff-ups, one must also assume that construction contractors are nothing more than automatons who will build anything without questioning it. REALLY?? Com'on people!

-- Warren Buffett

Russian Troll Farmer
    This is obviously fake. And if these are really engineering eff-ups, one must also assume that construction contractors are nothing more than automatons who will build anything without questioning it. REALLY?? Com'on people!
    That first pic is obviously a photoshop; notice that there are 2 pylons only about 30' apart? Also, why would anybody connect a beam that far off and then concrete it over?

What the what???
    I get why there is no good substitute for the pneumatic tube at present. I guess I'm having a harder time with those who say "...and there never will be." Really? "Never?" Forever is a fairly long time, and given the history of advances that were once labeled impossible, that kind of declarative statement seems short-sighted at best.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I get why there is no good substitute for the pneumatic tube at present. I guess I'm having a harder time with those who say "...and there never will be." Really? "Never?" Forever is a fairly long time, and given the history of advances that were once labeled impossible, that kind of declarative statement seems short-sighted at best.
    Yes never. Physics hasn't changed in the last few billion years. It's not likely to change in the next few billion years. Solids will always be heavier than gases. A LOT heavier. And they will never compress like a gas without significantly more resistance.

You set the parameters. Your parameters defy physics.
    I'm certainly no engineer, but this seems like a solvable problem. Is it a question of planned obsolescence - pneumatic tubes keep you coming back? Is it that no one has been able to balance comfort, durability, weight and price?

I want my bike to feel like it's riding on air... but never have a flat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Solids will always be heavier than gases.

That is unless you are at absolute zero temperature.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is unless you are at absolute zero temperature.
    There's no such thing as a gas at absolute zero. Any gas will become a liquid or solid at some temperature above that.

Maybe you're referring to a Bose-Einstein condensate, but that's not really a gas, and anyway, it's extremely low in density.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

What the what???
    Yes never. Physics hasn't changed in the last few billion years. It's not likely to change in the next few billion years. Solids will always be heavier than gases. A LOT heavier. And they will never compress like a gas without significantly more resistance.

You set the parameters. Your parameters defy physics.

What about Jell-O??? There's ALWAYS room for Jell-O...

Graphene aerogel??

*sigh*... never mind... but in a thousand or so years, when they do crack this... I'm gonna dredge this thread and some of you are gonna look pretty damn silly... not to mention decayed... silly and decayed.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 09-13-2016 at 10:36 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    What about Jell-O??? There's ALWAYS room for Jell-O...
    You should try it! You could save yourself some time though and just fill your tire with water. Jell-O is 99.9% water. Won't be particularly light. Isn't compressible so it won't offer a comfortable ride.

Graphene aerogel??
    Cheap? Nope.
    Light? Very
    Compressible? Not in the slightest. It's extremely brittle since it's essentially glass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    There's no such thing as a gas at absolute zero. Any gas will become a liquid or solid at some temperature above that.

Precisely my point. That is why I made that remark. Every substance is a solid at absolute zero.

-- Warren Buffett

What the what???
    Is Tannus on to something?

http://www.tannus.co.uk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Is Tannus on to something?

Tannus Tyres - Solid Bicycle Tyres
    No. Not in the sense of your OP.

I want my bike to feel like it's riding on air... but never have a flat...
    Definitely not going to feel like riding on air. But for a city bike, commuter, MUP bike I'd probably give them a go.
    They claim " It now has the rolling resistance rate that closely matches premium pneumatic city bike tires". I'd love to see some testing on that. Besides, I don't know anyone who'd want their road bike to feel like a city bike.

Tannus has been at this since 1985. Yet the industry hasn't been revolutionized to solid tires. Barely a blip on the radar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    what's the big deal with getting a flat?

i've only had one this year. and it feels rather good to be able to patch a tube on the side of the road and get back on my ride within ten minutes.
    Well normally nothing however flatting during my cummute when ist raining/cold/blazing hot and Im on a schedule is a big pain. That about the only application where I would consider a solid tire really or the I took my bike to the bar and Im drunk and get a flat.

RoadBikeReview Member

Definitely not going to feel like riding on air. But for a city bike, commuter, MUP bike I'd probably give them a go.
    They claim " It now has the rolling resistance rate that closely matches premium pneumatic city bike tires". I'd love to see some testing on that. Besides, I don't know anyone who'd want their road bike to feel like a city bike.

Tannus has been at this since 1985. Yet the industry hasn't been revolutionized to solid tires. Barely a blip on the radar.
    So I guess you're saying John Dunlop's legacy isn't in any danger?

-- Warren Buffett

What the what???

Why must you dash my dreams???

If they are able to make it work, I wonder if they'll run into any opposition from an industry that likes the planned obsolescence of tubes and tires that puncture and need replacing.

I would consider their 700X28 for my summer commuter/winter roller bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why must you dash my dreams???
    Don't blame me. Blame physics. It has all these funky rules that you can't get around.

What the what???
    Don't blame me. Blame physics. It has all these funky rules that you can't get around.
    Lousy physics...✊️

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast