RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015

Soma Shikoro tubeless, 700x48

Has anybody used these? I'm looking for a tubeless 700/29x2.0 or so slick that has a decent amount of durability. The non-lightweight version is a bit porky and heavier than some MTB tires that I have (670g), but the lightweight version seems like it'd be too light to last (370g). I'm looking for something that's quiet, good for all around riding, and can take a bit of abuse.

Obviously, there aren't many options. The other that I found is a Compass 700x55, but $70/tire is more than I want to spend (plus I don't want light tan sidewalls). That might be the practical choice though.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I've been using Specialized Sawtooth 700x42mm on my tourer/gravel bike. Can get them for $40/tire-from my LBS locally. Great durability for commuting/touring, rolls decently on pavement and well on hardpack trails. But being a well armored tire, it also is about 600g.

I draw the line at tires for my bike that cost more than f'ing steel-belted-radial car tires that last 10x as long.

Another option is the Terrene Honali, that is a 700x50 moto-tread:

https://terrenetires.com/pages/honali

They only sell direct AFAIK, so you have to order them.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen the Terrene.

The Sawtooth is a good tire, but a bit small for my application:

These are for a separate set of road wheels. Looks play a part here too, and a fat 50mm is about right. Big, fat tires are also fun on pavement. Hopefully the "make everything bigger" trend will continue and larger tires will start to come out. There's the 60mm G-One Speed, but I'm not sold on Schwalbe tire durability, and yeah, it's $80.