RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Something Wrong with these Hub Spoke Holes?

Hi guys,

I'm rebuilding a used set of wheels that I got at a used gear sale. I just dismantled them, ready to put new spokes on, when I noticed something odd with the spoke holes. In particular, it looks like there's almost a second half-circle hole next to the primary one, and in every case it was opposite where the spoke was leading. Is this normal? My only thought is that this was to allow for a large bladed spoke to fit through. Otherwise, it seems odd to me. The only other set I built (Dura Ace 9000 hubs) had just plain circle holes.

Any input much appreciated!

Something Wrong with these Hub Spoke Holes?-img_1993.jpgSomething Wrong with these Hub Spoke Holes?-img_1992.jpg

wheelbuilder
    They are slotted for bladed spokes. Make sure your lacing pattern puts the spoke elbow on the opposite side of the spoke hole as the slot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    They are slotted for bladed spokes. Make sure your lacing pattern puts the spoke elbow on the opposite side of the spoke hole as the slot.
    Thanks so much ergott! I'll double-check to orient the spokes correctly (took lots of photos and labeled everything).