RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Specialized Tarmac Wheel Advice

Here's a look at my new Tarmac Expert with Stock DTSwiss Rims and Hubs. Running 28's and the ride is fun, but looking to add an alternate option and my mind is all over the place. I don't race and top priority is handling over speed. That said the current set is comfy but a bit sluggish. Taking any suggestions.

Thinking through:

-Fulcrum Zero's (had a set of 5's long time back and loved the way the rolled)
    -Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith
    -Mavic KSYRIUM PRO EXALITH
    -Zip 30 Course
    -Dura-ace C35 alum rim
    -HED Ardennes (seems similar to current)

I'm struggling btw custom or manufactured sets; if I go custom I'd really want a pair with either dura-ace or CK hubs. I don't know what rims would make for a good setup though, especially compared to the stock DTSwiss that already come with the bike.

Also, I'm large: 6.1" 220 - 230 lbs

Specialized Tarmac Wheel Advice-img_6575.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    It's going to be tough to beat Dura-Ace with HED C2 rims. Use however many spokes your local wheel builder recommends.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Off of your list, I would pick the Fulcrum's or C-35's.
    My friend has about 5 years and 10k on his Racing 1's and has had to replace 1 spoke.
    He's weighed as much as 270 and is now down to 220-230.

I've been running DA C-24's for years with no issues, but I'm 160.

I think the Fulcrum's would handle your weight better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At your weight:

1) I would stay away from anything made by Mavic.

2) All these have too low a spoke count.

3) You are not going to notice an improvement in what you describe as feeling "sluggish" with a lighter wheelset.

4) I would not choose CK hubs unless you plan on riding mostly flat-as-a-pancake terrain. Their freehub is aluminum and can be gouged by the cassette by stronger or heavier riders. They also require a special tool to service.

If I were you, I would go the custom route with no fewer than 32 spokes rear and 28 front. Dura-Ace 9000 hubs are really nice, so are White Industries T11s. If you are flush with cash, go for the HED C2 rims. Otherwise, the DT Swiss R460 rims are a great bang for the buck and quite nice. And even with the more expensive HED rims, you will still pay less for and get greater longevity and trouble-free miles out of one of these custom builds than any of the factory wheelsets you mentioned above.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-15-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If your goal is less sluggish handling I'd suggest shifting your attention to tires. Wheels don't have much impact on handling compared to tires and their PSI.

While it's true that a lighter front wheel will make for more responsive handling you're too heavy to do much about that because a super light wheel won't hold your weight.

If you want new wheels by all means go for it but don't set your sights on them changing handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks to all for the feedback; much appreciated.

Also, any additional thoughts on fulcrum racing Quattro carbons at my weight? Given the durability of the zeros, not sure if it transfers to the carbons? But they sure look good and have some slight aero effect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amigsinchi View Post

Also, any additional thoughts on fulcrum racing Quattro carbons at my weight? Given the durability of the zeros, not sure if it transfers to the carbons? But they sure look good and have some slight aero effect.
    I wouldn't with that low a spoke count. They are only 18 front / 21 rear. Not a good idea for someone over 200lbs.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amigsinchi View Post

For argument sake let's say they would hold your weight. They, or any carbon clinchers, would still be a poor choice for someone who's said "I don't race and top priority is handling over speed."

What you'd get with those is inferior braking, with really expensive brake pads and worse handling in wind as compared to more shallow alloy rims.
    Possible hard to find expensive replacement spokes but I'm not sure about that one. There also may be PSI limitations which at your weight could come into play.