RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Spinergy Rev-x???

I'm building up a tri bike (on a budget) and need a set of 650c wheels.

I've found some used 650C Spinergy Rev-Xs for around $300. My other option would be to go for a set of new Easton EA70s (or similarly priced wheels).

The Spinergys are more aero and look cooler. They are probably less durable than a set of aluminum clinchers.

Anyone have recent experience with the Rev-X? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Ray

Get me to In&Out
    They were always heavy and never like staying true. They were a gimmick wheelset when introduced, and eventually banned by the UCI's rules. If memory serves, there was a huge lawsuit from someone whose wheel busted up in a race. I owned a pair that I put on my commuter. Still heavy as hell though.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Darling of The Lounge
    Be careful with those Rev-X wheels

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-020/index.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

When to crack?

Quote Originally Posted by raymond7204
    I'm building up a tri bike (on a budget) and need a set of 650c wheels.

I've found some used 650C Spinergy Rev-Xs for around $300. My other option would be to go for a set of new Easton EA70s (or similarly priced wheels).

The Spinergys are more aero and look cooler. They are probably less durable than a set of aluminum clinchers.

Anyone have recent experience with the Rev-X? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Rev-X wheels eventually crack and fail. It's completely unpredictable when that might happen. Some of them failed quickly, and some were very durable. Any that are still around either didn't get ridden much or were the ones that lasted a long time. A guy who comes to our time trials showed up with a set that were (obviously) many years old. No way of knowing how many miles on them. Halfway through the season he was complaining about a clicking sound from his bike, so we discussed all the possibilities. A few weeks later, he wasn't riding the Spinergy's so I asked him why. That clicking sound was the wheel starting to delaminate.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2004
    Mine cracked at the rivets in the front wheel on 2 of the blades. Thankfully caught that before ending up on the ground.
    http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/48...600x600Q85.jpg'05 Giant NRS C1 & '06 Giant TCR Advanced
    '68 Schwinn Typhoon

Get me to In&Out
    My son loved them on his MTB. He rode his till the day we sold his bike. He must have gotten a strong set. They came out of true right away, but never got to where they were unsafe.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    My wife and I both rode them quite a bit a decade ago and now they hang on the basement ceiling. They rode pretty well and were fast. You definitely notice a cross wind riding them. For a time trial type application, I think they'd be pretty good. Just inspect them on a regular basis.

Get me to In&Out
    Put them on Ebay. They sell for a fortune on there still.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Michele Bartoli had his kneecap all but sliced off by one.

RoadBikeReview Member

F45
    banned
    Nov 2010
    The Rev X are great for stray dogs that run into your bike. Mine had hairs embedded in the leading edge after an incident.

I've ridden a set every year that I got brand new in 1997. They are still perfectly true with no cracks at all. But I am a light rider.

Banned forever.....or not
    They are fine, except in heavy cross winds.

When they fail, they fail badly. You need to check for cracks once a week.

When you hit a bump in the road, it sounds like the wheel is falling apart....You get a big ,,,,"CLACK"
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    They are fine, except in heavy cross winds.

When they fail, they fail badly. You need to check for cracks once a week.

When you hit a bump in the road, it sounds like the wheel is falling apart....You get a big ,,,,"CLACK"
    That noise was usually due to the stem of the tube rattling in the wheel. Easy fix was to use a wrap of electrical tape to stop the annoying noise.
    http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/48...600x600Q85.jpg'05 Giant NRS C1 & '06 Giant TCR Advanced
    '68 Schwinn Typhoon