RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

Spinergy Xaero Lites, Bontrager Race Lites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipe??

I have a Look 566 that currently has Mavic Aksium's. I'm thinking of getting a new set of wheels and would like input. I don't want to spend a small fortune and I am female, so looks are pretty important :-). I've narrowed my choices down to Spinergy Xaero Lites, Bontrager Race Lites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipes. Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Gal View Post
    I don't want to spend a small fortune and I am female, so looks are pretty important :-). I've narrowed my choices down to Spinergy Xaero Lites, Bontrager Race Lites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipes. Any thoughts?
    An eBay seller by the name onlinecycle has like 2400 transactions with a 100% rating. They have the spinergy xaero lites in tons of colors, and are pretty light weight too. Reasonably priced at $450. I was thinking of grabbing the light blue ones. The neon green ones are hard to ignore, would look real nice on the black and green Caad10. Why did I have to see the green ones?!?!?

is riding in MOPP4
    Are you riding 650c or 700c? Have you considered the Shimano RS80 C24?
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Nice bike. So you're looking in the $400-$500 price range, right?

I didn't know Spinergy even existed anymore. I still have two sets of their wheels hanging from my basement ceiling. The ones with the PBO spokes always scared me a little because I hear that if you break a spoke it whips you hard in the leg (PBO spokes are pliable like string).

I think Mavic wheels aren't good bang from the buck even though I own two sets of them. They've been good wheels, but I've come to the conclusion that you can do better for the money. Bontrager ... isn't that a Trek product. Eeeeuuuw ... you're not going to put a Trek product on the nice Look bike, are you?

My favorite set of wheels is one that I had custom built (Kinlin 270 rims, White Industries hubs and Sapim c-xray spokes). There is a choice of component color -- I did all silver, but you can do all black, red, a mixture, whatever. They look nice, are light and are strong. But they cost me $750 which is out of your price range.

If I had to choose between those three, I guess I'd do the Mavics. Go look at Nuevation and Boyds. They have wheels as good or better than the Mavics for the same or cheaper. These are cheaper, lighter and as good or better better than the choices you're looking at

Neuvation RK 400 Road Set 1440 Gr - www.neuvationcycling.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    Are you riding 650c or 700c? Have you considered the Shimano RS80 C24?
    They are 700's.