RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Spring fever! Am I throwing wheel money out the window? Wheels, tires or none?

Maybe it's the good weather coming up. Maybe it's a treat to myself for putting in the base miles through our area's biggest snowfall (and ice) in the past 100 years: I want some new summer wheels! Or at least I think so..... I'd like to avoid tossing money out the window because of weather-induced impulsiveness. Pertinent info:

155-160 pound mtb racer mainly using road bike for training and Strava PR.
    Currently on Kinlin XC279 20/24 (IIRC) with Sector 28c @ 75/80psi on average roads. I think they're 1460g wheels.

When I ride GP4000SII even in 25c, the difference in suppleness and speed is drastic. Same training wheel, just diff tire and relatively similar psi. Woowee, I like them!! The bike feels so much more alive with the Conti. Maybe it's mental.

I'm a big proponent of road tubeless even though I can't recall having more than 1 or 2 flats per year nontubeless.

1) Keep wheels and try 28c GP4000SII? That's inexpensive.

2) Keep wheels and replace Sector 28 with a faster more supple 28c tubeless at diff psi? That's inexpensive. Is there a tire with noticeable improvement than S28c?

3) Get a grip on reality and ride what I got year round and work on body position to gain more aero benefit and fitness to gain more Strava PR? I know a 1300g wunderwheel isn't going to transform me into the talk of the town and leave the roads afire with newfound delusional speed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bikewriter; 03-11-2017 at 05:40 AM.

changingleaf
    If your bike has clearance for a 28mm tire then I say go for it. Schwalbe has a very fast rolling tubeless 28mm in the Pro one, but I don't think it will last as long as the Continental. Either way I don't think a few watts in rolling resistance is going to make much difference unless you need to squeeze out all you can get for some important races.

Other than speed, I think that reliability is a good consideration for wheel components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I have some Conti 4000s in 28 mounted on a Pacenti SL25 rim. I love them. I'm 168lbs and run them at 65 lbs. I'm not sure if they are as fast as my 25's but they sure do ride good. Be prepared they are BIG like 32 Big

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would choose Option 3. It sounds like you have too.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger