RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

SRAM S60 vs ZIPP 404 Tubular

Hi,

I have doing triathlon for nearly 5 years. This year I have improved my PB's considering that I am riding with a standard wheels (Mavic Aksium). My bike is Scott CR1

I think now it is time for updating to aero wheels. I have looking different options but at the moment there is so many make and models that I can not get anything clear. I like the zipp 404. I am 77 kg and 184 cm. I have reading so many good reviews about the zipp but his durability and frequent service putt me off.

My three options are:
    1. SRAM s60 Front / SRAM s80 rear clincher: Weight 2090 grams. Price 950£
    2. SRAM S60 Front and rear clincher: Weight 1850 grams. Price 850£
    3. Zipp 404 Tubular 2009 (full carbon): Weight 1250 grams. Price 1250£ on sale, it look like a very good offer.

I really like the zipp 404 but I am very worry for problems I may have and I do not know if I am to heavy for the zipps.
    I will use the wheels on races only no for training. I am planing to do Triathlon alpe due'z so I was looking for something light and aero. But main races will be on flat with very little hills.

Please could you put my mind in rest in relation to SRAM or ZIPP. I can not make a clear decision.

If you have any other ideas like reynolds or hed please make some coments.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    You say you race mainly flats so I would recommend skipping the wheels and purchase a TT bike, get it properly fit to you, possibly buy a TT helmet too. Getting more aero via the bike will be much much faster than wheels.

Sorry, if this is not what you want to hear but it is the faster decision and it's not even close.

If you must choose wheels then I'd pick the 404 tubies but that is a lot of coin for used unless these are new old stock.
    Last edited by mimason; 03-29-2011 at 07:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The cheap fast setup would be a S80 front, and a plastic disc cover on a cheap rear wheel (but with good bearings!). Use fast narrow tires on this rim (Conti SS), and latex tubes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for your answer. You are right I may get more benefit from a TT bike rather than getting some aero wheels.

The problems is that this year, there is only one race I will be able to use a TT bike and this race is not a very important one. I was considering the ORBEA TT next year. My idea is to buy some aero wheels now to use in Alpe d´huez with my light SCOTT CR1 and next year to go for ORBEA TT, because I have got important race.

The zipp 404 version 2009 are new old stock for 1250£. Ideally I would like to go for the zipp, but if I am going to spend nearly 1k I do not want to have problem with the wheels and for that reason SRAM altough a bit heavier look a bit durable for the reviews i have read.

What do you think?

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    If you are getting new old stock then you should have full warranty coverage and Zipp is really good about service items. Also, the 2009 models had the changeover to the newer hub design(and dimpled rim) which is better than the old. I have an '09 808 tubie rear and am pretty happy with it. If you are using these for race only triathlon events you are not really "beating" on these wheels like on typical road bike races or hard efforts.

The comment about the rear disc cover is a no brainer that I forgot to mention.

As far as the major race you are referencing , it sounds like it has a lot of climbing so weight would be important here and not riding on sails in the mountain downhills. This would make me want nothing deeper than 45mm hoops like 303s or a 303/404 combo or similar other brand.

Also, forgot to ask how much you weigh.