Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

SRAM S80 700C FR Clincher (Black with Red Decals, 80mm

Hey All, how are these wheels in comparison to the 2012 Mavic Carbone SLR's? The fact for 500 less I can get an 80mm as opposed to only 53mm carbones?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    What is your reasoning here? "80mm > 53mm so it must be better"?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with aero wheels? Impressing others and thinking you look cool at the cost of performance and handling? Like I said in the other thread you started, just wait until you ride in a crosswind with your 80mm wheels and see how you like it. Or start climbing up a hill.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
    What is your reasoning here? "80mm > 53mm so it must be better"?

What exactly are you trying to do with aero wheels? Is impressing others with your huge profile wheels more important than performance and handling?
    See, I am pretty shallow when it comes to stuff like this. But when I checked on their website, I am not sure it will work with my Shimano 105 group. I have a 2011 Canondale Synapse 5 aluminum frame. Will this work on shimano components?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jwk View Post
    See, I am pretty shallow when it comes to stuff like this. But when I checked on their website, I am not sure it will work with my Shimano 105 group. I have a 2011 Canondale Synapse 5 aluminum frame. Will this work on shimano components?
    Who cares, as long as it looks good. Whatever. You are hopeless.

At this point I totally regret getting into a discussion with you. I should have been smarter and just laughed at you and your posts like others here have done.

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Who cares, as long as it looks good. Whatever. You are hopeless.

At this point I totally regret getting into a discussion with you. I should have been smarter and just laughed at you and your posts like others here have done.

DAAAAAAMN!

Tell him how you really feel Profol!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Well, hell...did you read the other thread he started? Trying to reason with him is the most frustrating and useless experience ever.

2012 Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL- Steel Spoke? Rust

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Propofol and jwk. This forum has an "ignore" function. I suggest you two use it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    These threads are getting painful to read.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I just ordered a pair of SRAM S80's for both front and back. I am wondering if I should have ordered the S60 in front and S80 in rear or am I better off leaving both 80;s

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just ordered a pair of SRAM S80's for both front and back...
    So you ordered 4 wheels?

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    So you ordered 4 wheels?

lol...but am wondering if I should have chosen the 60's just for the front and keep the rear 80's but figured if I am going to go areo, might as well do it right as I dont care about accelerating up to speed. However have heard for smaller riders the 80's may not be a good choice unless you got massive legs.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Well, I just ordered a set of SRAM S80 and it was a tough decision but finally pulled the trigger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Wait until you ride in a crosswind. Make sure you come back and post about your crash.

Winner!
    Jan 2012

Thumbs down

Wait until you ride in a crosswind. Make sure you come back and post about your crash.
    You're SO wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Hope the OP doesn't live where it's hilly, and he can push 25mph everywhere he rides. It seems weight, inertia, and aerodynamics are a bit over his head...
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Hope the OP doesn't live where it's hilly, and he can push 25mph everywhere he rides. It seems weight, inertia, and aerodynamics are a bit over his head...
    pretty flat where I live and when it is windy, will just use my elites

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Meh, none of that matters to him, as long as his wheels looks cool. Looks over functionality FTL.

I see guys like the OP all the time where I live and ride. They're riding full disc wheels, fancy TT and modded track bikes with aerobars, and even full aero teardrop helmets - on the beach. They don't realize that they look like complete tools riding stuff like that at 11mph. It's the same riceboy mentality that some people have when they modify their crapbox Honda Civics by bolting on heavy and useless body kits and spoilers to make their cars look fast when in reality they're not.
    Last edited by Propofol; 02-01-2012 at 08:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    pretty flat where I live and when it is windy, will just use my elites
    Sure, but can you ride at over 25 ALL the time? If you're tooling around @ 17, the wheels are a hindrance, not a help...
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Meh, none of that matters to him, as long as his wheels looks cool. Looks over functionality FTL.

I see guys like the OP all the time where I live and ride. They're riding full disc wheels, fancy TT and modded track bikes with aerobars, and even full aero teardrop helmets - on the beach. They don't realize that they look like complete tools riding stuff like that at 11mph. It's the same riceboy mentality that some people have when they modify their crapbox Honda Civics by bolting on heavy and useless body kits and spoilers to make their cars looks fast when in reality they're not.
    Propofol, seems like you are a bit jealous and not to mention racist. I wouldn't be so racist to Asians because to be quite frank, they are outpacing white americans in all colleges and kicking their butts at all levels, science and math, engineering to boot. Although I am Korean/american, I was born and raised here so I am just like the rest of the fat and lazy americans but anyway it is too bad forums are mostly filled with so much negative and hateful people. I came here with a question and regardless of my reasons for making my purchase, it does not make it right to bash people like me who buy things for looks. My primary sport is running marathons and I could just as easily laugh at runners who place too much emphasis on how a running shoe will make them look than what it can do. If I can run a faster marathon, I will wear pink ones if that will get me to the line quicker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Propofol, seems like you are a bit jealous and not to mention racist. I wouldn't be so racist to Asians because to be quite frank, they are outpacing white americans in all colleges and kicking their butts at all levels, science and math, engineering to boot. Although I am Korean/american, I was born and raised here so I am just like the rest of the fat and lazy americans but anyway it is too bad forums are mostly filled with so much negative and hateful people. I came here with a question and regardless of my reasons for making my purchase, it does not make it right to bash people like me who buy things for looks. My primary sport is running marathons and I could just as easily laugh at runners who place too much emphasis on how a running shoe will make them look than what it can do. If I can run a faster marathon, I will wear pink ones if that will get me to the line quicker.
    No, not jealous at all. What would I be jealous of? I've got a great career, I make decent money, I can pretty much buy anything I want, and I don't drive a POS Honda Civic with a park bench wing bolted on it. If you'd like proof I'd be happy to provide it.

As for racism, what did I say that was so racist? I'm Asian myself. "Riceboy" is not a pejorative/racist term.

When you're backed into a corner, you tend to ignore the points that people bring up and complain about being victimized. You're a joke. I couldn't care less what wheels you buy and ride, but that doesn't mean I can't call you out for being a poser.

Sure, but can you ride at over 25 ALL the time? If you're tooling around @ 17, the wheels are a hindrance, not a help...
    Obviously that doesn't matter to him. The purpose of bike wheels are for looks, not for performance.

OP, I'm not sure you understand that 80mm profile wheels are primarily for time trial/triathlon/track racing use and are pretty much useless for about 99% of the bike riding population. You've already said you're a novice/recreational rider which makes these even more inappropriate for you. 80mm is HUGE and will cause more problems for you than solve them. You wanted advice on whether you made a good choice or not, so here it is - you made a poor choice. It's your money to waste but for someone who places so much emphasis on money and the cost of things, you sure are spending a fair chunk of change on something that will not really give you much benefit.

You mentioned that you'll wear pink if it'll make you run faster. Well, so would a lot of people. The difference here is that when you wear pink while running, you may look ridiculous but you're performing better. With these wheels, you're looking ridiculous without any improvement in performance. That's why people here are telling you you're not making much sense. In all honesty, you should have spent a lot more time educating yourself about bike wheels instead of spending money frivolously on wheels that won't work well for you. Why do you come here asking for advice when your mind is already made up and you absolutely refuse to accept or listen to any advice that's given to you?
    Last edited by Propofol; 02-01-2012 at 08:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Hey..... he's finally using the right term, and not calling them "Ksyariums" They must be a brand new model of wheels that look very nice, don't have steel spokes, and are a great buy. I'm afraid of riding anything deeper than 50mm, 80 would send me sailing like a kite. Hey JWK, I know you keep on saying you run, and will wear something pink if it makes you run faster in marathons. I would presume that you run marathons? Just out of curiosity what kind of times do you lay down for those.

Hope you like your wheels

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reality_V2 View Post
    Hey..... he's finally using the right term, and not calling them "Ksyariums" They must be a brand new model of wheels that look very nice, don't have steel spokes, and are a great buy. I'm afraid of riding anything deeper than 50mm, 80 would send me sailing like a kite. Hey JWK, I know you keep on saying you run, and will wear something pink if it makes you run faster in marathons. I would presume that you run marathons? Just out of curiosity what kind of times do you lay down for those.

Hope you like your wheels
    Well in my quest to break 3:00 hours, I have been trying to get my weight down to 132 lbs. I am 5'10" tall. I am presently 145 lbs but gave up trying to lose anymore weight as I have pretty much reached my max I did dip to 140 lbs but lost muscle and actually got slower and less endurance. My best time because I bonked last marathon at which after mile 21 I was walking the rest of the way was 3:14 but still not bad considering I am old. I think this year I may finally make a break through as I worked on building my leg muscles

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    No, not jealous at all. What would I be jealous of? I've got a great career, I make decent money, I can pretty much buy anything I want, and I don't drive a POS Honda Civic with a park bench wing bolted on it. If you'd like proof I'd be happy to provide it.

As for racism, what did I say that was so racist? I'm Asian myself. "Riceboy" is not a pejorative/racist term.

When you're backed into a corner, you tend to ignore the points that people bring up and complain about being victimized. You're a joke. I couldn't care less what wheels you buy and ride, but that doesn't mean I can't call you out for being a poser.

Obviously that doesn't matter to him. The purpose of bike wheels are for looks, not for performance.

OP, I'm not sure you understand that 80mm profile wheels are primarily for time trial/triathlon/track racing use and are pretty much useless for about 99% of the bike riding population. You've already said you're a novice/recreational rider which makes these even more inappropriate for you. 80mm is HUGE and will cause more problems for you than solve them. You wanted advice on whether you made a good choice or not, so here it is - you made a poor choice. It's your money to waste but for someone who places so much emphasis on money and the cost of things, you sure are spending a fair chunk of change on something that will not really give you much benefit.

You mentioned that you'll wear pink if it'll make you run faster. Well, so would a lot of people. The difference here is that when you wear pink while running, you may look ridiculous but you're performing better. With these wheels, you're looking ridiculous without any improvement in performance. That's why people here are telling you you're not making much sense. In all honesty, you should have spent a lot more time educating yourself about bike wheels instead of spending money frivolously on wheels that won't work well for you. Why do you come here asking for advice when your mind is already made up and you absolutely refuse to accept or listen to any advice that's given to you?
    Propofol, either way it seems you lack tolerance for others and in doing so you make yourself a bigot. an educated person would not attack or make fun of another person for buying things. While I agree I don't need these kinds of wheels, I just like the way they look and considering they are only 250 grams heavier than the 60's, I doubt it will prevent me from peddling them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Propofol, either way it seems you lack tolerance for others and in doing so you make yourself a bigot. an educated person would not attack or make fun of another person for buying things. While I agree I don't need these kinds of wheels, I just like the way they look and considering they are only 250 grams heavier than the 60's, I doubt it will prevent me from peddling them.
    No, I simply lack tolerance for stupidity. That doesn't make me a bigot and if you persist on calling me a racist or bigot I promise you WILL regret it.

Nobody is saying you won't be able to pedal on these wheels. What we are saying is that you won't be able pedal as efficiently as you could with other wheels, and your handling will suffer too. Don't expect everyone to agree with your purchase decisions. If you came here expecting everyone to jerk you off and support your decision to buy wheels that don't fit your riding pattern, you're deluded. There's more to consider than looks when buying bike wheels.

If you want to buy racing slick tires for your car because the look cool go ahead, but don't be surprised when you start hydroplaning and crash.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    No, I simply lack tolerance for stupidity. That doesn't make me a bigot and if you persist on calling me a racist or bigot I promise you WILL regret it.

Nobody is saying you won't be able to pedal on these wheels. What we are saying is that you won't be able pedal as efficiently as you could with other wheels, and your handling will suffer too. Don't expect everyone to agree with your purchase decisions. If you came here expecting everyone to jerk you off and support your decision to buy wheels that don't fit your riding pattern, you're deluded. There's more to consider than looks when buying bike wheels.

If you want to buy racing slick tires for your car because the look cool go ahead, but don't be surprised when you start hydroplaning and crash.
    It's a waste of time arguing with you buddy..you need to grow up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast