RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015

Stan's Alpha 340 has been discontinued

Stan's Alpha 340 was a very popular rim even just a couple years ago, one of the lightest available, but it has been discontinued.

I am still able to get a few, but they will be completely unavailable in the near future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Wasn't it discontinued years ago? Well, that is if redesigning and making it 385, not 340, grams but not bothering to change the name isn't what you'd consider continued.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    LOL, well now the 385g 340 is also discontinued. Now I don't know of anything lighter than 435g DT Swiss 411.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I've yet to see a 435g DT Swiss 411. 450 to 460 is what we've seen. Boyd Altamont Lite is reliably 435 to 440. Stan's 400 is close to that, but like the 340 it struggles to find relevance at this point. There are other narrow rims like Kinlin 270 that get down there, but people who want to use rims that narrow are few and far between these days.

Two years ago, I really wanted Stan's to do an update on the 340. A little wider, a little more robust (you need enough spokes with them that the - weight of the rim goes right back into the + weight of spokes) but otherwise similar. With ongoing increase in disc rims, I'd be surprised to see it. They have their Avion carbon rims for road and a slew of disc brake rims and there you go.

The one I can't figure out is getting rid of the Valor. They'd just made it available as rim only, and now it's discontinued. The best carbon tubeless CX rim on the market, awesome gravel rim, and they kill it. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the carbon Crest CB7 is an adequate replacement. The alloy Crest isn't robust enough for a lot of cross and gravel applications and the stouter alloy Arch is too wide. Oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    LOL, well now the 385g 340 is also discontinued. Now I don't know of anything lighter than 435g DT Swiss 411.
    There might be a reason for this. There is an awful lot of experience showing that trying to get below about 425 gm for an aluminum clincher rim will almost certainly result in durability problems. Each time a ligher rim comes out everybody raves about how they have solved the durability issue but are still light weight. Then a couple of years go by and there are all kinds of reports of spoke pull-through, sidewall cracks, etc. It has happened repeatedly. There are real, physical limits imposed by the fudamental principles of material properties.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    No, I have not heard about any pull-through or cracks on the 385g 340 rims, but they are narrower than is popular now, and also more flexible.

I am still using the original 346g 340 rims on my own bike, with triplet rear lacing and nipple washers. I am 170-175 pounds.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 02-24-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Stan's Alpha 340 was a very popular rim even just a couple years ago, one of the lightest available, but it has been discontinued.

I am still able to get a few, but they will be completely unavailable in the near future.
    Yes! Finally. Some rims out stay their welcome. The IronCross was another dud. Is that still available? I hope not.