Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Stans Alpha 340 Tyre problems ????

13K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  Mackers 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, initial excitement has turned to disappointment .

I'm having problems with the tyres

Story so far. Wheels came without rim tape, they sent me some two days later.
It was the cloth type and was too wide, I couldn't get the bead to seat because the rim tape was too wide and it moved up this inside of the bead. It was even showing outside the tyre in places. I changed this for some narrower plastic type, this fitted the rim perfectly. However this also slides about when fitting the tyre and ends up covering the tyre bead in places.

I'm using these with tubes and I'm finding it impossible to get the rim tape to stay put.
I could glue it in, but I would rather not if I can avoid it.
Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm close to sending them back.

Do Stans make a special tape for these rims?

Iv''e just had a though, how about using a couple of layers of insulation tape???

See less See more
#48 ·
I just measured. I have 23mm PR3's on my Stans and Neutron rims.

On the Neutrons they measure 23.5mm. On the Stans it's 25.5mm.

#49 ·
These are shite rims. If you read the forums the Alpha 340 latest generation is famous for blowing tyres off the rim.

Ive never had a drivers license. Am 36. Riden hundreds of thousands of miles and these Alpha 340 rims would EASILY be the most dangerous item Ive ever purchased. Can't believe I didnt do my homework first lol!

I have a brand new rim. 2 layers of 21mm yellow rip tape as directed by the Stans actual website. Blew 2 tyres off the rim. One whilst riding thru a corner and one whilst the bicycle parked.

These will be recalled when someone dies.

#52 ·
Has anyone mentioned, what you're doing with the 21mm tape is, you are stretching the tape so it sits into the drop channel also. the full surface length is 17mm + the 1/2 circumference of the drop channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.