RoadBikeReview Member

Stick with Rev X or sell and get tubeless ultegra wheelset?

Having this mini dilemma at the moment, I love the Rev X, but they are a bit heavy and catch the wind, but are really aero.

I hear tubeless has a really nice ride, i can sell the Rev X for way more than a set of Ultegra's cost (from chainreactioncycles), they will be about 400g lighter as well.

What is the consensus???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I have the Ultegra's I got from Chainreaction. I really like them. I have also really enjoyed tubeless. I bought them a year and a half ago for $300. No brainer at that price. Not sure what they go for now.

On your left!

A few thoughts...

The Rev-X's are heavy by today's standards. They are also getting some years on them so I would keep them but set them aside for occasional use, TT or Tri or etc...
    Last edited by racerx; 01-10-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    He's talking about tubeless clinchers, not tubulars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, yeah the ultegras are just over 300 at chainreactioncycles, I really like the style of the Rev X especially as they match my bike so well.

I also worry about dinging the carbon spokes in the Rev X, so I baby my bike way too much because of it.

I live in central Tokyo, so my apartment is about as big as your American bathrooms, so as much as I'd like to have 2 sets of wheels, it's an either or situation.

I kinda feel the Ultegra would be a better 'all-round' set.

Also, yes, I was talking about tubeless, not tubular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    With the rev x don't you just stick a stans valve stem in, two ounces of protect air and Hutchinson fusion 3 tubeless tires?

I have been running stans system for close to four years. Two of the wheels I needed Stans tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought I could do that, but hadn't seen anyone report it done.

The tubeless is really just an added bonus for the wheel change, as I am thinking more about a wheel set that will be suitable for general use, the Rev X are strong, and I love them, but I know the blades can chip easily if knocked.

I guess I should list them on Craigslist and see if anyone bites!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by the_don View Post
    I thought I could do that, but hadn't seen anyone report it done.

The tubeless is really just an added bonus for the wheel change, as I am thinking more about a wheel set that will be suitable for general use, the Rev X are strong, and I love them, but I know the blades can chip easily if knocked.

I guess I should list them on Craigslist and see if anyone bites!
    I sold my rev x on eBay and got twice what I thought they were worth.

I bought Campagnolo Zonda 2way from Ribble in the UK for $500. Very nice wheels. Also Giant sells tubeless wheels for a fair price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I have the Rev X and yes, they will catch the wind.
    I only use the rear wheel on the trainer these days, I have not ridden them on the road for over 3 years.
    I have the Ultegra wh-6600-g's and rode those exclusively for 2 years, they are good wheels, they are not tubeless, but decent wheels.
    I will still use the wh-6600-gís for short rides on occasion.

I am currently riding the 7850 SLs with Hutchinson Fusion 3's and these are great, very smooth riding.
    I say sell the Rev X and get the Ultegra 6700ís, the tubeless ride really is very nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

tubeless

Interesting concept. I don't own tubeless but I understand some rims accept both clinchers and tubeless which is neat but can't help wonder what happens on a flat. I am a master at putting a patch on the inside of a torn tire and throw in a new tube and finish a ride. Also we all carry an extra tube but now I'd have to carry 2 extra tires? Help me out here..please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Reports of the spokes coming apart at the rim with disastrous results. Given how old they are, I wouldn't ride them. I put my set on the wall for decoration 6 years ago

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can put tubes in tubeless tires of you get a flat.

Nothing wrong with Rev X wheels, there are lots out there being ridden daily with no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by itspizzi View Post
    Interesting concept. I don't own tubeless but I understand some rims accept both clinchers and tubeless which is neat but can't help wonder what happens on a flat. I am a master at putting a patch on the inside of a torn tire and throw in a new tube and finish a ride. Also we all carry an extra tube but now I'd have to carry 2 extra tires? Help me out here..please.
    You dont carry extra tires. Heck I dont even carry an extra tube. I only flated once in 4 years and that was because i wore down the Hutch fusion 2's to the cord. A wet ride and small stone was too much for the sealant to over come.

As far as the Rev X, I ran them for years with a small chip in one of the spokes. They didnt explode like carbon frames

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info..seems like a no brainer then... can tubeless tires be repaired or do you pitch them as i d a punctured tube?
    Al

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    New good wind cheating tubeless ready Ultegras for less than heavy, wind catching, knee cap slicing, old used Rev-Xes?

A no-brainer indeed.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    yes you can patch the tires like tubes.

I sold my rev x's because the cross winds on those wheels are horible. They were aero only into a headwind. The 2000 grams didnt bother me unless I was climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'm liking the patch idea!..can tubeless be used on the c35 clincher rims? anyone know?