won't you be my neighbor?

The strangely popular Wheels and Tires forum...

Ever notice the '# of ppl viewing' thingie next to the name of each RBR forum?

It's 3:30AM out here on the West Coast (yay, insomnia), and there's like 300 people viewing the Wheel & Tires forum in the dead of night. WTF?

Yeah I know, the East Coast is three hours ahead, but still... ppl have a burning desire to be here @6:30am in the morning?

It's also the #3 Most Viewed forum right now, with only General Cycling and Components & Wrenching beating it. RBR has like 65-70 forums.

When did W&T become popular? And why? I seem to remember when hardly anyone was here, beyond a small cast of knowledgeable diehards.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day it blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It's those "Carbon Aesthetics Wheels".

Boyd Cycling owner
    It's because everybody wants to know about which wheel to get since it's the best way to shave 10 minutes off your 20K time trial time. . .anybody? believing that??
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

wyrd bi ful rd
    6:30am Eastern US time is 10:30am UK time and 11:30am Western Europe. And 8:30pm Australian Eastern.

I know most users are in US, but there are still h0m0 sapiens beyond both the Pacific and Atlantic. (funny how if I had used 'o's in the word above, they come out as asterisks)

... and yup we don't really matter ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    its the world wide wide.....not the usa wide web.

Man, I'm Awesome
    Just because this website is in American don't mean other folks in feren countries don't not wanna look it.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

Cranky Old Bastard
    Because everyone is convinced that they need high-zoot wheels, even on their entry level Treks. ( I'm guilty of that myself!)

The billboard advertising on rims makes wheels the latest new bling trend? You're not cool unless you're sporting carbon rims?

Newbies think that new wheels will magically fix everything that is wrong with their bike while making them 10mph faster?

All the overweight American newbies believe that they need sub-1400g wheels for the MUTs? Then when they break those they have to research to find a new pair.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    All the overweight American newbies believe that they need sub-1400g wheels for the MUTs?
    I don't know about that........plenty of overweight American newbies seem to realize that super deep carbon clinchers make for the best MUT wheels.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't know about that........plenty of overweight American newbies seem to realize that super deep carbon clinchers make for the best MUT wheels.
    Yes, you're right Jay. Aerodynamics are all-important when you're stuck behind that family of five with their four-year-old setting the pace!
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    6:30am Eastern US time is 10:30am UK time and 11:30am Western Europe. And 8:30pm Australian Eastern.

I know most users are in US, but there are still h0m0 sapiens beyond both the Pacific and Atlantic. (funny how if I had used 'o's in the word above, they come out as asterisks)

... and yup we don't really matter ...

Well, goes without saying. But I didn't want to be rude.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Because everyone is convinced that they need high-zoot wheels, even on their entry level Treks. ( I'm guilty of that myself!)

The billboard advertising on rims makes wheels the latest new bling trend? You're not cool unless you're sporting carbon rims?

Newbies think that new wheels will magically fix everything that is wrong with their bike while making them 10mph faster?

All the overweight American newbies believe that they need sub-1400g wheels for the MUTs? Then when they break those they have to research to find a new pair.
    All of the above?

Platypius:

Yes, you're right Jay. Aerodynamics are all-important when you're stuck behind that family of five with their four-year-old setting the pace!
    Sideswipe the four-year-old. It'll toughen them up for life later on.

(yes, I am kidding. Does anyone out there really not get that? )

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    And Ford F250 crew cabs are most economical commuters.

Also good for driving six blocks to 7-Eleven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's all about the Tri-Spokes.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

What did you say? Huh?

Re: The strangely popular Wheels and Tires forum...

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    It's all about the Tri-Spokes.

[IM G]http://www.gobankingrates.com/system/wp/blogs/12/assets/giant-rims.jpg[/IMG]
    I prefer to ride 25mm steel tires on steel railroad on my bike.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    And this is the most popular thread in Wheels & Tires right now! It's a strange world we live in.

Sep 2007
    It's the China carbon wheels thread - sorry to inform you, but everything else in here is just statistical noise compared to that monster.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.