Road Warrior

Swapping out the Rear Wheel-Considerations.

Need a little advice; Iím changing rear wheels and need to know if itís recommended to change cassettes at the same time, both are 11-32, Shimano Ultegra 6800ís. The old set is Bont and the new set Zipps. I understand measuring to see if the shims dimensions are the same or to change the spacers as needed. The target bike has a new chain. What else should I consider?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not sure I understand the question. Actually I'm sure I don't.
    Obviously a new wheel should have a cassette on it. What do you mean by swapping? Carrying the old one over to it?

Also don't understand what you mean by change spacers as needed. You need the correct spacers, period. Is there some sort of 10/11 combo involved?
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 1 Week Ago at 09:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Assuming that both cassettes are properly mounted, you may need to fine tune the rear derailleur a bit to get it to shift smoothly. Usually, the adjusting barrel on the rear der. is all that needs tweaking to account for minimal spacing differences in the hubs. I know I've experienced that when swapping wheels when one might have been a White Industries and the other a Zipp.

If the existing cassettes have much wear on them, you might want to consider replacing or you may experience some skipping of the new chain on the worn teeth of the cogs.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Need a little advice..... The target bike has a new chain. What else should I consider?
    Well, if it's a Target bike, it's a piece of junk.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Need a little advice; Iím changing rear wheels and need to know if itís recommended to change cassettes at the same time, both are 11-32, Shimano Ultegra 6800ís. The old set is Bont and the new set Zipps. I understand measuring to see if the shims dimensions are the same or to change the spacers as needed. The target bike has a new chain. What else should I consider?
    It depends on how worn your cassette is. Or more importantly how worn the chain was on the old bike. If it's badly worn you'll need to replace it or the new chain on the new bike will skip.
    There are no shims/spacers needed. Mount the cassette on the wheel and adjust the shifting as needed. And you mean Bontrager obviously, Bont make shoes not wheels.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards