Scott in Maryland
    Jun 2008

Switched to Wider Rims and 25mm Tires - LIKE

I switched the 32mm deep Reynolds carbon hoops on my Spesh Tarmac over to an aluminum box-shaped cross-section HED Ardennes SL with a 23mm wide brake track (versus 21mm) and changed tires from Conti GP4000s to Specialized Roubaix 23/25 ... basically a narrow 25mm tire ... and really like the smoother ride.

I'm 6-1 and 175... I was surprised enough at the difference in ride that I put the Reynolds back on to compare side-by-side again ... and yes. Smoother. And heavier. And I have some very anecdotal evidence that they may be a little slower (one pass down the big hill on my regular ride is the first time in a while I did not crack 50 MPH but it is hard to say at this point. I am sticking with the bigger tires over the summer and will follow up on this.

Anybody else got an opinion or experience on 25's or wider rim tracks?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in MD View Post
    I switched the 32mm deep Reynolds carbon hoops on my Spesh Tarmac over to an aluminum box-shaped cross-section HED Ardennes SL with a 23mm wide brake track (versus 21mm) and changed tires from Conti GP4000s to Specialized Roubaix 23/25 ... basically a narrow 25mm tire ... and really like the smoother ride.

I'm 6-1 and 175... I was surprised enough at the difference in ride that I put the Reynolds back on to compare side-by-side again ... and yes. Smoother. And heavier. And I have some very anecdotal evidence that they may be a little slower (one pass down the big hill on my regular ride is the first time in a while I did not crack 50 MPH but it is hard to say at this point. I am sticking with the bigger tires over the summer and will follow up on this.

Anybody else got an opinion or experience on 25's or wider rim tracks?

I switched to all 25mm tires two years ago but i haven't done the rims yet. I race crits and they handle much better. i am the same size as you, btw

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I recently switched from Ksyrium Elites(19mm)/Conti4000s(23mm) to HED C2(23mm/Conti4000s(25mm) and am VERY HAPPY. Those 25s measure 28mm on that rim. I'm 150lb and mostly climb and descend steep and curvy. Much smoother - more comfy - and very confidence inspiring on the descents. I'm currently running this set up 85r/80f. - Best thing I've done to my bike in years. The nice thing about wide rims in addition to the 25mm tires is that it's still easy to remove/install the wheel, as it passes easily through the pads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Not all bikes will accomdate a 25mm tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    6-04 220lbs here. Switched to 25's on my last tire change, about 1500 miles ago, loving them. Wider rims are on the horizon now.