Thread: Talisman Hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member

Talisman Hubs?

Anyone have any experience with or know anything about Talisman hubs? I'm looking to build a set of gravel disc wheels and am on a bit of a budget. For comparison, I typically go with American Classic Hubs mated to Stans rims. These are 1/3 the price, which has caught my attention.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Never heard of that particular brand, but I think it's at root a Chosen hub set. Yes, there are even "open mold" hubs! They may in fact be the most prevalent open mold item that gets rebranded as "our special hubs that we have made just for us" but most people don't scrutinize hubs the way they do rims, so the people doing this usually get away with it pretty easily.

There are tons of hubs out there in this price range. With these particular ones, you are going to be paying someone for the fancy anodizing and paying that same someone for their branding, so the question is what compromises are being made to fit those into this price point? The most likely suspect would be lower spec bearings - some bearings out there are absolute crap but they cost nothing. There are plenty of ways to cut costs and corners in a hub.

BikeHubStore has a bunch of different Bitex disc hubs that work plenty well and cost ~$180 for the pair. They aren't super fancy but they're better than the hubs spec'd on most upper tier OEM wheels, BHS has good product support and parts availability, and the BHS hubs come with good bearings.

A wheelist
    ^^^ What ND said.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

changingleaf
    Check into the SRAM 900 hubs. They are not as inexpensive as the Talisman, but less than the American Classic hubs and they have excellent bearings with "Double-time" quick engagement.