RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Is there an alternative to the trainer skewer?

Are there any other skewers that can fit a Cyclops Fluid 2 besides the special trainer skewer?

I'm considering buying a nice pair of skewers as a fun way to lighten up my bike. I bought my wheels without skewers and for the last 6 months I have been using a Shimano XT mtb skewer in the front and the heavy trainer skewer that came with my Cyclops trainer in the rear. It shouldn't be very hard to find a lighter set but I want something that I can still use on my trainer. I use the trainer to warm up before races and don't like the idea of swapping skewers right before heading to the line.

I've tried Mavic and Shimano skewers but neither one fit into the slotted cup on the non-driveside of my trainer. The slot isn't big enough for the handle to fit. There are some brands with skinny handles that I've seen online. They look like they might fit into the non-drive side trainer mount but the nut on the driveside is made so small that I don't know if it will just fall out of trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just have an old wheel dedicated to the trainer. I.e. the wheel and skewer stays with the trainer and I swap them when I ride on the road
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." Warren Miller

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoVelo
    Are there any other skewers that can fit a Cyclops Fluid 2 besides the special trainer skewer?

I'm considering buying a nice pair of skewers as a fun way to lighten up my bike. I bought my wheels without skewers and for the last 6 months I have been using a Shimano XT mtb skewer in the front and the heavy trainer skewer that came with my Cyclops trainer in the rear. It shouldn't be very hard to find a lighter set but I want something that I can still use on my trainer. I use the trainer to warm up before races and don't like the idea of swapping skewers right before heading to the line.

I've tried Mavic and Shimano skewers but neither one fit into the slotted cup on the non-driveside of my trainer. The slot isn't big enough for the handle to fit. There are some brands with skinny handles that I've seen online. They look like they might fit into the non-drive side trainer mount but the nut on the driveside is made so small that I don't know if it will just fall out of trainer.

The real answer is no, if you want to be securely mounted in the trainer you should use the heavier skewer it came with. having an extra wheel or warming up on your pit wheels (should you have those) is one way around it. I have also found that putting nicer skewers in the trainer just munges those skewers up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the Axlerodz Bolt-on skewers on my CycleOps Fluid 2:

http://www.deltacycle.com/dcimages/TD9100x.jpg

They weigh 70g for the pair and you can find them easily for $15 or less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Those axle rods look like they might fit but then it looks like I'd need an allen wrench to change a flat. Guess I could always add a pair of dedicated race wheels