RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 for $1200 with 400 miles?

In the market for some new wheels. Leaning towards lighter carbon tubulars, most likely in the 35-45mm range. Anyone have any experience on these? Other recommendations? Current wheels are Ksyrium SLs, and looking for lighter climbing wheels with some aero properties. Thank you.
    Last edited by sd5500; 08-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I've got the same wheels in the 50 mm depth and have ridden them for 600 miles and I love every second of them. They handle great and are the best carbon clincher wheel I've owned (I've owned alot of them)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I'm all over the map on this, had myself convinced to buy Zipp FC 303, then Madfiber, then Enve 3.4 and now im thinking the 3 D3..... All clinchers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    I'm all over the map on this, had myself convinced to buy Zipp FC 303, then Madfiber, then Enve 3.4 and now im thinking the 3 D3..... All clinchers.
    LOL..Me to. For me, its those minus the madfiber and insert the Reynolds 46. All Tubulars for me though.

GGW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have 4500 km on my D3 5 tubular with 25 mm Vittoria cx on them ,just cant take them off the bike .Lots of climb with those and they handle just great .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I wonder how those 5s climb compared to the 3s? I assume the 3s are a little snappier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems like a great price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Did I mention I only experienced wind steer when we had a 30 mph sustained wind come directly from my right or left? We had 35-40 mph gusts and everyone was experiencing wind steer but these handled great into the wind at that speed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Bonty's

Most definitely go with the tubulars. The hubs and carbon lay-up is completely different than the clinchers. You will also find out they are lighter than advertised. I had a set of AeolusD3's tubular with a 3 on the front and a 5 on the rear and that set weighed 1220 grams. Now I feel for such a wide and deep rim that is quite light. Again the best wheels I have ever owned. I have had 2 sets of the clinchers and 3 sets of the tubulars. I am done buying and selling and settled down with a 7 rear and a 5 on the front. On these wheels, I went with CXWrench's recommendation and used Vittoria's 25 and those prove to be the best tire for these WIDE rims. Another thing is these wheels seem to accelerate on their own and I can't explain it.. they just go. Might be the 180 internals from the DT Swiss 180 hubs in combo with the tires, I just don't know. But by far the best carbon wheel Trek/ Bontrager have EVER produced. At $1200 you better get them.. far better than any other offering on the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    yeah, they seem like a deal I can't pass up. I'm gonna go check em out, and test ride them. If they feel good, and are in great shape, I'll buy them. If they look a little beat up, I'll look into the 5s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Well I pulled thrigger on these wheels yesterday. They look brand new! Came with the skewers and the wheel bags. Came with a Bontrager XXX Lite 23 on the front, and a Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 25 on the rear. Both tires are great shape. Rode for them for 10 miles or so. I can say they definetly spin up quicker than the SLs.