RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Thoughts and Concerns on new Wheels - Reynolds Aero 58

Hi All,
    I'm very interested when Reynolds starts to release the Aero 58 that they recently announced, but i do have a few questions and concerns that hopefully you all can help answer.

I currently run Zipp 303 firecrest Carbon Clinchers. They are fantastic, they roll smooth, i'm constantly coasting when riding with others and they seem to get out to speed fast and keep that speed.

I also have Boyds 24mm Carbon Tubulars and i have ridden my friends Shimano C35 Carbon Tubulars. When I'm on these wheels, they seem to require more effort to keep speed and get up to speed.

I assume my safest bet is to buy the Aero 58 and use Zipp's Hubs if I'm wanting the same type of rolling resistance. But is it really the Hubs are that achieving this? DTSwiss/Chris King/Alchemy hubs just as good?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    First - I'm a cycling newby and still learning how physics affects cycling. Second, I completely do not understand rolling resistance. With that said, here I go:

I don't think what your feeling is the rolling resistance (or lack thereof). I thik you are feeling the momentum. The 24mm carbon tubular rims are lighter, so they probably give the feeling they roll up faster than the Zipp 303 clinchers. However, the Zipps rim (being deeper and a clincher) has got to be heavier than the 24mm rim. That extra weight once spinning will want to continue to spin - thus holding the momentum you have achieved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, so being slightly deeper then the C35 and being 200g more, I'm still feeling a big difference.

Even if i throw on the regular Giant PSL-0 wheels (DT swiss components) being 1600g and 22mm, they don't seem to roll as smooth and fast. Could the aero benefits make that big of a difference, even at slow speeds if i remove the weight factor?